Mr.Beer Community
SteveT

American larger kit came with 2 cans HME

I got a n American Larger refill kit a year ago. It came with 2 cans of HME. One says American Larger and the other says Classic American light.

It also included Hops pellets and a bag. No instructions....Do I use both cans? Attached is a picture with what was in the box and the packing list is:

Liberty Pellet Hops

No-Rinse Cleanser

Muslin Hop sack

Classic American Light

American Larger

In the past I've only received and used one can of HME so confused here. 

Thanks

20190107_094010.jpg

Yep, use both cans.  Follow the instructions from the link MiniYoda shared above, use good sanitation, keep the wort temperature around 65 during fermentation, go a full three weeks, and you should be fine. 

You explained in another thread that your cans say "best by May 2017".  So while the cans are fine, the hops, which haven't been refrigerated, are perhaps not fine.  If the cans are dated best by May 2017, then your kit is 2 or 3  years old I would expect.  If that's the case, I wouldn't use the hops.  You might open them and take a deep inhale.  If they smell cheesy, toss them.  Even if they don't, I suspect you won't nice much aroma after letting them air out for a few minutes.  In that case, toss them again.  

You can make the recipe fine without them, they are just adding a dash of aroma.

• Like 3

Good catch on the hops, Rick; I completely forgot about them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

That's why we pay him the big bucks

It's not the money, that's not why I do it.  It's the throne, as well as the honorary title that Mr. Beer gave me, Grand Poobah.  There is nothing like walking down the street and having some young person run up to you and say "are you really the Grand Poobah?".  I usually respond "yes young man, yes I am."  Then I go home and sit on the throne (no, not that throne, the other one).

I'd recommend in future posts that the OP keep related questions together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks all. I figured the Yeast was a tosser and now I'll toss the HOPS pellets too. I asked 2 seperate questions because I had an answer for the date on the cans and here I was looking for instructions.

Thanks again.