Mr.Beer Community
Enzo

If I bottle 2 days early, will my beer be ruined?

Hi all!

My lovely girlfriend got me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas and I’m currently waiting for my Oktoberfest to finish fermenting! Day 12 is over and I have just over a week left before bottling (according to instructions). 

Unfortunately, I will be away on vacation the day I am supposed to bottle- so I was wondering if it would be OK to bottle the night before I leave, which would be Day 19 (of 21). Otherwise I wont be back until Day 23, however I was hoping to have the beer ready for Superbowl to showcase to friends, hence the rush to bottle early. 

What do you think?

Thanks in advance. I havnt even tried my first beer yet but Ive already become obsessed with all the reading! Hope to be around for a long time!

1 hour ago, Enzo said:

Hi all!

My lovely girlfriend got me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas and I’m currently waiting for my Oktoberfest to finish fermenting! Day 12 is over and I have just over a week left before bottling (according to instructions). 

Unfortunately, I will be away on vacation the day I am supposed to bottle- so I was wondering if it would be OK to bottle the night before I leave, which would be Day 19 (of 21). Otherwise I wont be back until Day 23, however I was hoping to have the beer ready for Superbowl to showcase to friends, hence the rush to bottle early. 

What do you think?

Thanks in advance. I havnt even tried my first beer yet but Ive already become obsessed with all the reading! Hope to be around for a long time!

That would absolutely be fine. I’m sure people would recommend cold crashing for a day or two. 

really though, day 23 would be fine too. You could cold crash on your day 19, then bottle day 23. Which would also be perfectly acceptable 

what temp have you been fermenting at? If it was 60, then you may have problems. If it was at 65 you should be fine. 

Before you bottle your first batch, make sure you read up on how to prime your bottles. Don’t go off the mr beer recommendations otherwise you’ll have over carbed beer. 

• Like 1

the 3/2/2  is just a guide.. not a rule. (3 week ferment, 2 week carb, 2 week condition). . .

can you check your final gravity? if so anything close to 1.01 is usually done. (slightly higher if you used lactose in the beer as it is not fermentable sugar).

the reason the 3 week suggested time came about is because many new brewers dont have a hydrometer.  3 weeks at the right temp is usually more than enough time for the yeast to get it done without the risk of bottle bombs.

• Like 2

I still do the taste test before bottling. If it is flat and not sweet, it's ready. If it's still a little fizzy or sweet, it's not ready. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 1:21 AM, Creeps McLane said:

Before you bottle your first batch, make sure you read up on how to prime your bottles. Don’t go off the mr beer recommendations otherwise you’ll have over carbed beer. 

Thanks for the response. Can you give me more info on this? Or a link? So far Ive been doing everything off the instruction book from the kit. 

Also think I will cold crash before I leave and bottle when i get back! Thanks

3 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Thanks for the response. Can you give me more info on this? Or a link? So far Ive been doing everything off the instruction book from the kit. 

What are you planning to carb your beer with?

12 minutes ago, Enzo said:

I use sugar dots. 1 dot= 1/2 tsp. Mr Beer direction tend to over carb. I use 1 sugar dot per 12oz glass bottle or 2 sugar dots when using the 740ml PET bottles. For a 16.9 oz , 500ml bottle I use 1 sugar dot and then add a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Hope that helps.

40 minutes ago, Cato said:

I use sugar dots. 1 dot= 1/2 tsp. Mr Beer direction tend to over carb. I use 1 sugar dot per 12oz glass bottle or 2 sugar dots when using the 740ml PET bottles. For a 16.9 oz , 500ml bottle I use 1 sugar dot and then add a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Hope that helps.

What he said.  Easy as can be.

049200040409-bi-01.54.jpg&f=1

• Like 1

@Enzo i knew these guys would respond for ya. I dont really bottle anymore but i used to batch prime which is better in my opinion, but also takes an extra vessel. If you use the drops from Mr Beer, I found that what they recommended for a 12 oz bottle was what i would use for a 16 oz bottle and it was still a little over carbed. 

• Like 1

All good information above ^. My inclination is to go over the 3 weeks, if only by a couple of days, when I can't bottle "on time". No harm either way.

Thanks for the responses everyone. 

So I was planning to use the carb drops that came with the Mr Beer kit. I have the 740ml plastic bottles that came with the kit. Instructions say for that size to use 2 drops. 

Should I disregard and go the sugar drop route?

Oh wow! This is interesting! The Mr Beer drops overcarb? The directions call for 2 drops in the 740 ml PET bottles. Would anyone recommend 1? Or could you cut 1 in half and use 1 1/2 in each bottle? I'm guessing that the drops aren't sugar?

For the 740 mL bottles I've been using 1 for less malty beers and 3/4 tsp for more malty beers. However, I don't like my beers fizzy like soda pop. 

2 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

For the 740 mL bottles I've been using 1 for less malty beers and 3/4 tsp for more malty beers. However, I don't like my beers fizzy like soda pop. 

You mean sugar? I don't want soda pop fizz either. 

i normally bottle in 12 oz glass, but i use 2 carb drops for mrb 740ml PET bottles. It's always just fine to me. just sayin.....

in fact, the MRB Black Moon Rising i bottled today, I used 740ml PET bottles with 2 carb drops each.

• Thanks 1

I have to admit - I've been lazy and not using the hydrometer. I just let the beers ferment three weeks, regardless. There may be a bit of residual sugar left (???) as the basement is rather cool, and the stick on thermometer never seems to get above 68 deg F. I move the plastic bottles closer to the boiler and they harden up quickly, and carbonation is perfect for my palate. After the last couple of bottle bombs, I no longer use glass. Naturally, YMMV.

3 weeks is safest I'm sure but I've always gone 18 days with 3 day cold crash. When I can't cold crash because of another fermenter in the mini fridge I'll sometimes let the first one go 21 and then bottle, but haven't noticed any difference in hydrometer between 18 and 21 days.