Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fire Rooster

Risk vs Reward

Recommended Posts

Sanitizing is taken seriously, double checking everything along the process.

Then the lid is opened and pellets are tossed in to dry hop.

 

What are your experiences with dry hopping ?

 

Does the taste justify the risk of infection dry hopping ?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While dry hopping can be intimidating at first, as long as you are careful, the reward is well worth it IMO.

I usually do it the last 5-8 days before cold crashing or bottling.

I'm not a fan of excessive IBU's in my beers, but I am a fan of the aroma and flavor the hops impart.

I'll use my brewing software to calculate the amount of bittering during the boil and make those additions and then depending on the style , say it's a pale ale, I'll dry hop to really enhance the flavor and aroma without adding IBU's.

 

I just sanitize my hop sack, take some star san and spray around the fermenter cap, open and lightly drop it in. I've not had nor heard anyone get an infection issue by dry hopping this way. Risk worth the reward? Yes, big reward.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should do some reading on adding hops during brewing and what each addition adds.

 

Dry hopping adds AROMA.  Of course, we taste with our senses - eyes, nose, mouth.  So what you smell does affect taste, but the most impact of dry hopping is aroma.  You smell the hops in the beer.  

 

Done properly, there is no risk in dry hopping.  You sanitize the hop bag (boiling water), you put it on a sanitized plate, you fill it with hops, you tie it shut (either knotting the bag or tying with sanitized string), and you gently drop it in (lid open for seconds) with sanitized tongs or clean hands.  

hop boiling time.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Sanitizing is taken seriously, double checking everything along the process.

Then the lid is opened and pellets are tossed in to dry hop.

 

What are your experiences with dry hopping ?

 

Does the taste justify the risk of infection dry hopping ?

 

Thanks

 

I've never had an issue or infection when dry-hopping.

 

My process:

1)  Fill 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup halfway with water and nuke it until it's boiling.

2)  Remove from microwave, toss in hop sack, put in tongs that keep the sack submerged, and kitchen scissors that I'll use to cut open the bag of hops.  Let sit for 10 minutes.

3)  Carefully pour out water, leaving everything in the measuring cup.

4)  If you haven't already thoroughly washed your hands, do so.

5)  Cut open the bag of hops with the sanitized scissors.  Open hop sack (it may still be quite hot, so test it before getting all grabby), put in hops, tie off the sack, and trim away excess.  You're done with the scissors.

6)  Open the lid of the LBK.  Use the tongs to carefully drop in the hop sack without causing a splash  Put the lid back on.  Total time the lid is off is less than 10 seconds.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes?  Are you kidding?

 

LOL.

 

Good process!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RickBeer

 

So how much kickback do you get for the TurboTax sponsorship in your signature?  I never realized we could sell advertising space in our signature.  I will have to get on that to expediate my retirement.

 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Shrike said:

 

I've never had an issue or infection when dry-hopping.

 

My process:

1)  Fill 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup halfway with water and nuke it until it's boiling.

2)  Remove from microwave, toss in hop sack, put in tongs that keep the sack submerged, and kitchen scissors that I'll use to cut open the bag of hops.  Let sit for 10 minutes.

3)  Carefully pour out water, leaving everything in the measuring cup.

4)  If you haven't already thoroughly washed your hands, do so.

5)  Cut open the bag of hops with the sanitized scissors.  Open hop sack (it may still be quite hot, so test it before getting all grabby), put in hops, tie off the sack, and trim away excess.  You're done with the scissors.

6)  Open the lid of the LBK.  Use the tongs to carefully drop in the hop sack without causing a splash  Put the lid back on.  Total time the lid is off is less than 10 seconds.

 

Lol, it may be overkill but I spray starman on both sides of the hops packet at the top where I cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put it there because most people overpay for TurboTax (and also buy more than the Deluxe download/CD version that they need).  I figured I'd leave it there for a month or two, then take it out.  If Mr. Beer had an issue I would remove it.

 

As to how much I make?  If you buy TurboTax I get $1.60.   You pay the exact same as you would if I didn't get $1.60.  I have zero visibility to who buys (it's Amazon, buying from them), where the sale comes from (this link, other links I have elsewhere on the internet), etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Sanitizing is taken seriously, double checking everything along the process.

Then the lid is opened and pellets are tossed in to dry hop.

 

What are your experiences with dry hopping ?

 

Does the taste justify the risk of infection dry hopping ?

 

Thanks

you should absolutely do it. sanitize a hop sack as per shrike's instructions. that is the signature flavor of many beers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

10 minutes?  Are you kidding?

 

LOL.

 

Good process!

I usually go 10 minutes because at that point I can handle the hop sack after draining without it being too hot.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all ! Glad I checked here first, dry hopping was going to be ditched.

Will take the advice and continue to dry hop with methods suggested.

 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:27 AM, RickBeer said:

You should do some reading on adding hops during brewing and what each addition adds.

 

Dry hopping adds AROMA.  Of course, we taste with our senses - eyes, nose, mouth.  So what you smell does affect taste, but the most impact of dry hopping is aroma.  You smell the hops in the beer.  

 

Done properly, there is no risk in dry hopping.  You sanitize the hop bag (boiling water), you put it on a sanitized plate, you fill it with hops, you tie it shut (either knotting the bag or tying with sanitized string), and you gently drop it in (lid open for seconds) with sanitized tongs or clean hands.  

hop boiling time.jpg

 

Thanks RickBeer, saw this chart before and now it makes sense what it was, and explains the reason for a hop schedule.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fire Rooster said:

Thanks all ! Glad I checked here first, dry hopping was going to be ditched.

Will take the advice and continue to dry hop with methods suggested.

 

 

 

 

you dry hopped your zombie dust clone didn't you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jdub said:

you dry hopped your zombie dust clone didn't you?

 

Yes

It was first dry hop ever, which is why the process was questioned.

 

Continuing with commando for now, and see if that works for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i do hop sacks for the dry hop. i suppose that the cold crashing will settle out a lot of the hops anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...