Mr.Beer Community
Gary S

Very Disappointed in Mr. Beer

I am very disappointed with Mr. Beer’s equipment and customer service.

I purchased a Mr. Beer kit and the keg had a defective front seam that did not allow the spigot to fit properly, so it leaked.

I contacted Mr. Beer’s customer service department about the problem. The person I spoke to said I could DIY sand the keg and it may work. I finally convinced him to send me a new keg.

The new keg arrived in about a week. When this keg was manufactured the hole was not cleanly bored out. Therefore, the portion that was bored out was still attached, to the inside, and would not allow the spigot to be attached.

I called their phone number several times and was disconnected every time. So I sent them an email about the problem.

Tim Falk, customer service manager, contacted me and said “I'll be testing the next replacement personally and adding in a few beers on us to make up for the trouble. Thank you so much for your patience. I'll have more info for you in the middle of next week.”

I waited a couple of weeks and did not hear from Tim, nor did I receive the items he promised. I sent him another email.

His response was “I'll check with the warehouse today, thanks for bringing this back up on my radar. “

Now it has been over a week I have heard nothing back from him, nor received anything he promised.

It has been months now since I purchased the Mr. Beer kit and there is no beer in sight.

Prior to their defective products and poor customer service I had planned on purchasing and having three kits going at the same time. I was enthused about making different kinds of beers and ciders.

It is apparent to me that this company does not care about the quality of the products they are selling. It is also apparent they will tell the customer anything at the time without having any intension of making good on their promises.

I wonder how far up the management ladder this lack of concern goes. I also wonder if this is a viable company working from this business model.

I will be discussing Mr. Beer’s lack of performance on other forums to see if anyone knows of a good beer kit and has some similar experiences with this company. A discussion on this topic may get the company to change their business model on the quality of their products and their customer service.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Man, if you'd have come on the forum when this first happened, we could have walked you through a light sanding on the inside, and told you to put the flat side of the nut to face the washer and you'd have been up and running that day!

I've got three LBK's and I'm sure I did a light touch up on two of them and yeah one did take a few more minutes to get completely smooth, but once done they've never leaked since.

Yes, I know that it'd be great if it came in perfect, but it's not a perfect world and its a plastic $10 keg. You could spend $200 on a nice kettle and still find a slight burr on the opening for the drain valve or temperature thermowell. Again maybe a touch or two with a fine metal file and you're brewing.

So, if you want us to help we are all about that in the forum. Good luck whichever way you go, but if you want to put all this rough start aside so you can get brewing, let us know.

That's extremely atypical, IME.  MRB has always had top-notch customer service.

Even Wayne Gretzky missed the net on occasion.  Doesn't mean he wasn't a great shooter.

• Like 3

Very graceful fall on the sword, @MRB Tim.    😁

You did forgot to say "mea culpa" though... 

I'd echo that Mr. Beer Customer Service is superb.  I'd vouch that you'd find few companies not only trying to help, but then apologizing that their efforts didn't meet your expectations.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Gary S said:

I am very disappointed with Mr. Beer’s equipment and customer service.

I purchased a Mr. Beer kit and the keg had a defective front seam that did not allow the spigot to fit properly, so it leaked.

I will be discussing Mr. Beer’s lack of performance on other forums to see if anyone knows of a good beer kit and has some similar experiences with this company. A discussion on this topic may get the company to change their business model on the quality of their products and their customer service.

I certainly understand your frustration and you are right to continue to get it set straight.  I do want to take the opportunity to say that since starting my new hobby with a MRB kit (like you) last Fall (and after making at least 4 additional purchases of extracts and equipment with MRB since) I have personally had no issues whatsoever with MRB.  I think this has to be a rare circumstance with this company.

I hope you get things straightened out soon and that you have not lost all faith in MRB as a company.  They have been great for us, so far, and I would hate to see you lose interest in what can be a fun and fascinating (not to mention rewarding) hobby.  Please keep us informed of how things work out.  

ps: with Tim on your side, you have exactly the right advocate, imho.  Good luck, Gary.

• Like 2

I might also mention here that the 2nd LBK that I bought (directly from MRB) seems to be a bit better in quality than the one that I purchased in the kit from Amazon.  Dunno why, both are fine, but the 2nd one is a bit easier to see into, has a better lid and less injection-molding residues than the kit keg.  This is opposite of what Gary seems to have experienced which is odd but I'm sure MRB will get things straightened out for him soon.  I will be purchasing at least one more LBK in the coming months because they work so well for my needs.