Mr.Beer Community
Enzo

Classic American Light Tweaking

Hello folks!

So I just finished brewing my Oktoberfest using the cookie cutter instructions that came with the starter kit. 

The other can of extract that came with the kit is Classic American Light, and since that sounds boring and tasteless, I went ahead and bought 4oz of Caramel Malt already milled up, and 1 oz of cascade hops, and a couple sacks from my local homebrew store so I can put more of a personalization on it and hope to give it more taste. Maybe even add some honey?

Expecting a foot of snow over here in the northeast so what better time than now to start cooking. I was hoping you guys can check my work. 

I believe I should steep the malt for about a half hour in hot water before boil, add tablespoon of honey, bring to boil and remove sack of malt, remove from heat, add wort, mix, bring back to boil, add hops (with sack or without?) and cook longer for a few minutes (the longer the more bitter). This is all going from some of the reading ive done but just want to run it on here to make sure it sounds right or if I am missing any keys. 

Thanks everyone!

8 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Hello folks!

So I just finished brewing my Oktoberfest using the cookie cutter instructions that came with the starter kit. 

The other can of extract that came with the kit is Classic American Light, and since that sounds boring and tasteless, I went ahead and bought 4oz of Caramel Malt already milled up, and 1 oz of cascade hops, and a couple sacks from my local homebrew store so I can put more of a personalization on it and hope to give it more taste. Maybe even add some honey?

Expecting a foot of snow over here in the northeast so what better time than now to start cooking. I was hoping you guys can check my work. 

I believe I should steep the malt for about a half hour in hot water before boil, add tablespoon of honey, bring to boil and remove sack of malt, remove from heat, add wort, mix, bring back to boil, add hops (with sack or without?) and cook longer for a few minutes (the longer the more bitter). This is all going from some of the reading ive done but just want to run it on here to make sure it sounds right or if I am missing any keys. 

Thanks everyone!

Youre never supposed to boil HME. I would just add the cascade hops after you bring the honey to a boil. Then add the HME.

otherwise looks really good. Looks like youve been studying. 

I dont think adding the hops to boiling honey would yield any bitterness like you’d think. Hop utilization happens in wort. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Youre never supposed to boil HME. I would just add the cascade hops after you bring the honey to a boil. Then add the HME.

otherwise looks really good. Looks like youve been studying. 

I dont think adding the hops to boiling honey would yield any bitterness like you’d think. Hop utilization happens in wort. 

Thanks! As far as the hops go, this is my first go at it, should I be putting them in the sack as I did with the malt? Or is it something that disolves or makes no difference if it sits in the fermenter when I put the wort in?

5 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Thanks! As far as the hops go, this is my first go at it, should I be putting them in the sack as I did with the malt? Or is it something that disolves or makes no difference if it sits in the fermenter when I put the wort in?

That my friend is up to you. If theyre the pellets then they do dissolve but not entirely. If i were you id put them in a hop sack separate from the grains. Just to be specific. Malts are steeped, hops are boiled. Dont boil grain. Pull the hop sack out before dumping into your fermenter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Definitely use the sack. For your first time, tie the knot as close to the open end as possible. Those hop pellets will absorb water and fall apart. You will be amazed by the volume increase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Enzo said:

Hello folks!

Thanks everyone!

Welcome.....check out the Horse's Ass Ale recipe. Not to duplicate it, but for the instructions. it's a recipe that uses honey and CAL HME. Might help with the instructions and order of operations. just before everything, steep the grains for 30 min at ~152 deg and see what happens. free advice from JDub.

https://www.mrbeer.com/horse-s-ass-ale-recipe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Malts are steeped, hops are boiled. Dont boil grain. Pull the hop sack out before dumping into your fermenter 

So just to adjust my recipie, I should probably bring to boil after steeping the malts and then boil the hops, then flame off, then mix in the wort? Or just better off wort and hops together in hot (not boiling) water? Or my choice?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enzo said:

So just to adjust my recipie, I should probably bring to boil after steeping the malts and then boil the hops, then flame off, then mix in the wort? Or just better off wort and hops together in hot (not boiling) water? Or my choice?

to do it the MRB way, you would steep your grains at ~152 deg for 30 min. then bring to a boil, and remove from heat. then add can of HME, honey and hops sack, stir up and throw it into the LBK and top off with water according to instructions. MRB experts may have a different take, but that's the way i understand it.

• Thanks 1

I would steep the grains, make the liquid up to 4 cups with tap water and  bring to boil. If I wanted more bitterness I would add hops in bag and boil them now. Even a short boil - 15 min will add some bitterness. Try using the recipe builder online and see. You even get some by steeping the hops in hot water for 30 min. then just adding the liquid. I have done that with some beers.

If you want a more fresh hoppy aroma, put the honey in and half oz. of the hops in a bag and bring to boil. Give it a minute or 2, then turn heat off and add HME. A week before bottling boil another hop bag for  a couple min., put the other half oz. of the hops in and put it in the LBK. It will be beautifully Cascady then.

I sterilize tongs and move the hop bag (s) out of the pan into the LBK first to avoid a big PLOP as it pours in.

I do the same when bottling - remove the hop bags with sterilized tongs before bottling. I squeeze the bags carefully, holding the bag top with other hand, with the tongs to get beer out.

You still do lose some beer in the hop bags though so if you want the full complement of bottles fill the LBK maybe 1/4 " higher to compensate.

• Like 1

I'd strongly suggest you reading some of the partial mash recipes on the Mr. Beer site, which include full instructions as to how to steep and add hops.

What is it you hope to gain by using a tablespoon of honey?

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I'd strongly suggest you reading some of the partial mash recipes on the Mr. Beer site, which include full instructions as to how to steep and add hops.

What is it you hope to gain by using a tablespoon of honey?

Just some more complexity and character I suppose. I got the idea from that Horses Ass Ale recipie someone posted earlier in this thread. 

52 minutes ago, Enzo said:

Just some more complexity and character I suppose. I got the idea from that Horses Ass Ale recipie someone posted earlier in this thread. 

You won't get either.

Honey adds no honey flavor.  Not a drop.  Honey adds sugar, which ferments away, raising the ABV (slightly for the amount you are using).  It dries out a beer, so it's appropriate on some beers is you want a dry, not sweet, finish.

Horse's Ass adds a cup of honey, which is 16x what you're planning.  That's 3/4 of a pound of honey.  That gives the "crisp finish".  And no honey flavor, which you get from steeping a small amount of honey malt.

The reason I'm pointing this out is that if you don't know the potential impact of something you're adding, and you like or don't like the result, you don't know how you go it.  

I'd lose the honey, steep the Caramel Malt (again, following the partial mash instructions on the Mr. Beer site), bring the resulting steeped water (grain bag removed) to a boil, add 1/2 ounce of the hops and boil for 15 minutes, then remove from heat.  Stir in the HME.  A week later dry hop the other 1/2 oz (carefully following sanitation instructions).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some really great info and advice everyone! Going to begin cooking in a few hours. Thank you all so much. This community is great, Im learning more and more everyday!