Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bonsai & Brew

Extra Special Bitter or Howling Red Ale?

It's your call.  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do with this wort?

• Forget about the eclipse and brew the 6.3% ABV Extra Special Bitter fermented with Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell yeast (M36) as crafted
    • Do a quick boil on some cold-steeped roasted barley, cool, then add to wort. Ferment with US-05 or Nottingham and call it an American Red Ale.
    • Take my wife out for dinner tonight, procure a 6th LBK and brew the Howling Red Ale tomorrow!

I was 40 minutes into my boil on an Extra Special Bitter recipe when I started thinking.  Tomorrow night is an eclipse of a Super Full Blood Wolf Moon and I would usually take advantage of such an event and brew a Howling Red Ale.  Had I planned my brewing schedule better, I would have done that.  As it is, I've got a batch of 1.058 OG/40 IBU wort chilling out on the deck.  I used all UK-sourced grains and hops but did FWH using Warrior.  Now I have a decision to make...

Here is my recipe so far:

• Crisp Finest Maris Otter, 3.5 lb.
  • Crisp Amber malt, 0.2 lb.
  • Crisp Torrified wheat, 0.2 lb.
  • Crisp Light Crystal, 0.2 lb.
  • Warrior, 16.8% AA, 0.25 oz. FWH
  • Styrian Golding, 2.6% AA, 0.5 oz., 20 min.
  • Fuggle, 5.6% AA, 0.25 oz., 5 min.

OG  1.058

IBU  40

SRM  about 8

https://www.livescience.com/64550-super-blood-wolf-moon-eclipse.html

• Like 3

Thanks for the bump @Cato!  The votes are really coming in now!:D

After the nice Saturday night out with my wife, I was looking forward to checking out the vote to see what everyone thought of my idea.  Since there were only 2 votes, I broke the tie and pitched the crafted ESB with MJ Liberty Bell yeast thinking that I would brew a 4-gallon batch of Howling Red Ale on Sunday.  I did not get around to brewing the Red Ale due to a conflicting NFL schedule, so in the end Choice #1 actually won.🍻