Mr.Beer Community
Clonedogg

Can you cold crash for too long?

Sorry I tried to search the forums using the tool but could not find my answer, but I'm sure its in there...somewhere.  

If my schedule gets messed up and I have to keep my LBK in the fridge until I can get to bottling, how long is too long to keep it cold crashing?  Is it possible to cold crash for too long?

Thanks in advance.  

Yes, it is.  Your beer is sitting on dead yeast.  While cold crashing puts the live yeast to sleep, the beer is still sitting on the dead yeast.  You want to minimize the amount of time it's doing that.  Can't give you an exact answer, but in general you don't want fermentation, including cold crashing, to go more than 4 - 5 weeks.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rick, for the information and the reasoning.  

I've been getting back in the swing of things (brewing) took a few years off.  I usually follow a 4 week fermenting schedule 24-25 days at the lower end of yeast temps, then 3-4 days cold crashing.  I've been really happy with my past results, but in my time off from brewing, I got married.  I have found that my wife has a habit of planning things for me on "beer" days, lol.  

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Clonedogg said:

Thanks Rick, for the information and the reasoning.  

I've been getting back in the swing of things (brewing) took a few years off.  I usually follow a 4 week fermenting schedule 24-25 days at the lower end of yeast temps, then 3-4 days cold crashing.  I've been really happy with my past results, but in my time off from brewing, I got married.  I have found that my wife has a habit of planning things for me on "beer" days, lol.  

Welcome back to brewing and congrats on the new wife!

Better solution than @RickBeer. Just explain to wife that it should be okay if she plans things on beer bottling days, but to accommodate her you'll need a 5 gal unitank with heating and chilling options. That way you can dump the dead yeast, and begin a secondary fermentation prior to bottling.

By the way, I get by just fine with fermenting ales for 18 days and 2-3 day cold crash if cold crash fits the schedule.

• Like 1

@Cato,  Thanks for the tip and I'll make sure to put my request for new equipment in to the committee, lol. 

I decided on 4 weeks because I have 2 LBK's , and have a schedule for alternating weeks to keep my pipeline up 👍.  This way I am only doing beer work every two weeks instead of 2 out of 3 weeks.

• Like 2