Mr.Beer Community
Mic-S

Here's an Idea ??

Why wouldn't a SS tea ball, or two (if sterilized 1st) work for steeping hop pellets (instead of using a hop sack) ?  Has anyone here tried this before?

rsz_dsc_0006.jpg

• Like 1

it could probably work.  Do a Google Search on Hop Filter

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=tlNKXN6BF8vXjwTwkpbIDg&q=hop+filter&oq=&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.35i39l6.0.0..3905...1.0..0.183.183.0j1......0......gws-wiz.....6.P2utw9zbWH4

and you'll see that the idea is in active use.  For the most part, not to the scale of the 2 gallon LBK's, but it could be useable for non-recipe 2 gallon batches where you don't have a hop-sack that comes with the recipe.

yoder.

Oh, P.S.  Just a quick note that I saw a correction on this forum a while back.  There is a difference between "sterilized" and "sanitized".  Not a major one, but for the most part, "sanitized" is enough. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

it could probably work.  Do a Google Search on Hop Filter

Oh, P.S.  Just a quick note that I saw a correction on this forum a while back.  There is a difference between "sterilized" and "sanitized".  Not a major one, but for the most part, "sanitized" is enough. 

Yes, I remember the correction to my wording a few weeks back.  I understand there is a significant difference, but so for, all I have been using in my 10 batched beers has been either the MRB sanitizer or the OneStep I bought on-line.   In this case, I'd probably boil the empty tea ball first (before I start the wort) and then add the pellet hops and steep.  T'would seem a reasonable substitution, esp since I have no hop sacks left.  I think I'll try it.

I know of a couple people who have used this method. Just remember that the pellets will expand quite a bit. I only saw this used once and the person filled the ball about halfway. When it was removed the hops were packed solid inside. I had to wonder how much it hurt utilization if liquid wasn’t able to flow through. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Maybe start with only filling it 1/4 to 1/3 full of hops and see how that works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can also make "hop tea". Steep the pellets in hot (boiled) water for 30 min or so the decant off the liquid. The hops should have settled to the bottom.  Some people use a coffee press with success.  ICooper's (Mr Beer's AU parent) includes steeping method in some recipes.

https://us.diybeer.com/czech-pils-20-litres

My experience is that I get the same effect with a 30 min boiled water steep as putting them in a hop bag at flameout when using Saaz in a Pilsener.

Also despite the claim that you need to boil hops in wort to get bitterness and hop flavor, I have boiled them in plain water and it seemed to work. (Maybe my palate is not good enough to tell the difference :-)).  (Not that the charts of IBU extracted per minute of boil vs wort concentration goes down as concentration increases and up as it decreases, but they do not show plain water at the low concentration end. Tinseth stops at 1.020 not 1.000 lol.

This post has one commenter give a method claimed to work for a separate hop boil.

https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/4576/performing-a-hop-boil-seperate-from-the-wort-boil

and

https://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/1154/partial-vs-full-volume-wort-boil

The last post has poster that says not to boil extract wort - but boil hops in water then add.

Some people are having success with it is seems.

So you can try and see. 

So if doing a PM + Mr B HME - I would do the PM, boil hops in the liquor to sterilize or add bitterness, flavor etc. as needed, turn off heat then add Malt extracts.

Dry malts and booster clump badly in hot liquid so I might start those cold but this is the general idea I use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, efdbrian said:

I know of a couple people who have used this method. Just remember that the pellets will expand quite a bit. I only saw this used once and the person filled the ball about halfway. When it was removed the hops were packed solid inside. I had to wonder how much it hurt utilization if liquid wasn’t able to flow through. Give it a try and see if it works for you. Maybe start with only filling it 1/4 to 1/3 full of hops and see how that works. 

You are correct.  I've used a tea ball with loose leaf tea for years and one never fills the ball even half full.  Most MRB two-gallon recipes call for far fewer pellets than even that much.   Also, one of the links from Fire rooster above is for a 3.5" ball, more than enough room for expansion and flow-thru, too big, imo for the 2-gal LBK.   I think I'm going to try it on my next batch.

1 minute ago, Nickfixit said:

Some people use a coffee press with success.  Cooper's (Mr Beer's AU parent) includes this method in some recipes.

Thanks, Nick.  I've been using a French press in my batches.  In fact, I've yet to try a hop sack, since I didn't have any and when I got one, I had already batched the recipe without it.  I can say unequivocally that the press method works great, whether dry-hopping into the LBK directly or into the individual bottles.   I've done both.

• Like 1