Mr.Beer Community
Brewing4Fun

New brew kettle

Do i need to do anything special to my new brew kettle before its first use? Its stainless steel if that matters. Thank you in advance.

If it's a brew kettle then follow instructions below. If it's a cook/stockpot I'd just use unscented dish liquid to clean it.

Clean with TSP thoroughly to get off any machine oils, then fill with Star san mix, 1 oz to 5 gallons. Drain both solutions through your valve if you have one to clean that as well.

I also like to clean my valve with a bristle brush sprayed with Star San.

So i read the link Fire Rooster put up and it said to use bar keepers friend instead of star san. Is it a good alternative and if not is there something else i can use thats easy to find in stores?

59 minutes ago, Brewing4Fun said:

So i read the link Fire Rooster put up and it said to use bar keepers friend instead of star san. Is it a good alternative and if not is there something else i can use thats easy to find in stores?

I haven't tried bar keepers friend but if that's all you have....

You could also order some star san and get it quickly on Amazon.

The TSP you can get at a hardware store or Home Depot. I think I'd use that and maybe some 7th generation unscented dish soap to clean the kettle and use it if you're anxious to, and order some Star san and passivate when you get it.

9 hours ago, Brewing4Fun said:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/01/09/passivating-stainless-steel-beer-brewing-equipment-to-prevent-corrosion/

Barkeeper's Friend is a cleaning product.

StarSan is a sanitizing product.

59 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

http://www.howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-b/passivating-stainless-steel

http://howtobrew.com/book/appendices/appendix-b/brewing-metallurgy

For what it's worth, I don't know what to believe, It won't hurt to do it.

As a test I took 2 SS kitchen pots and did the concentrated StarSan method. Only made 2 cups to cover bottom of pots.

One (18/10 SS) looked as if little changed.  The other (18/8 SS) had a rainbow look to it and clouded the StarSan, rainbow is gone and looks better.

What did it do, who knows, but its sanitized and looks nice.

Thanks for the help and links. I decided to email the manufacturer of my kettle to see what they recommend and go from there. If nothing else i have the tsp and the star san will be here Wednesday.

34 minutes ago, Fire Rooster said:

Thats what i do. Clean the conical and then give it a quick spray before I throw the wort in there.

Its also excellent for kegging. The posts get a little gunky and then they wont accept the couplings. One spray of star san and its ready to go instantly. Not to mention great for checking for leaks in kegs and distributors.

12 hours ago, Brewing4Fun said:

Thanks for the help and links. I decided to email the manufacturer of my kettle to see what they recommend and go from there. If nothing else i have the tsp and the star san will be here Wednesday.

Please let us know what they say.

Well here is what the manufacturer of my kettle sent me.

Hello

Thank you for you inquiry. I would recommend cleaning the unit before using but it is stainless steel and not porous, which means you do not need to seal anything. Cleaning and sanitizing is always a good idea for your brewing process. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you  

1 hour ago, Brewing4Fun said:

Well here is what the manufacturer of my kettle sent me.

Hello

Thank you for you inquiry. I would recommend cleaning the unit before using but it is stainless steel and not porous, which means you do not need to seal anything. Cleaning and sanitizing is always a good idea for your brewing process. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you  

Um, that's not entirely true in my book. Stainless can get corrosion on it. Just used the Bar Cleaners Friend soft scrub yesterday on my stainless steel sink to get off a few corrosion spots.

I posted earlier what SSBrewtech recommends before using your stainless kettle or fermenter. Clean with TSP and then use 1 oz per gallon of Star San to passivate. 

Up to you.

https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200206485-CLEANING-CARE-STAINLESS

Well this is certainly a lot like the process of brewing. Lots of opinions, none are probably wrong but everyone sure thinks they’re right. 

• Haha 3