Mr.Beer Community
Mic-S

How many types of beer mugs do you own?

Sometime back, I commented on someone's cool beer mug, (wish I could remember, but it's been awhile).  Anyway, we only have one style, the standard pub mug with straight sloped slides.  I've noticed quite a few different styles posted here since joining the forum, different styles for different types of beer, it seems.  Was wondering:  how many of you guys own multiple styles of mugs and which style of mug do you prefer with different types of beer? Is there a reason for the different styles (other than 8 oz size glasses  for beers > 8.5%, etc)?  

19 hours ago, McSquirrely said:

Sometime back, I commented on someone's cool beer mug, (wish I could remember, but it's been awhile).  Anyway, we only have one style, the standard pub mug with straight sloped slides.  I've noticed quite a few different styles posted here since joining the forum, different styles for different types of beer, it seems.  Was wondering:  how many of you guys own multiple styles of mugs and which style of mug do you prefer with different types of beer? Is there a reason for the different styles (other than 8 oz size glasses  for beers > 8.5%, etc)?  

So you must have “shaker pint” glasses. They are the worst of the worst for any serious beer nerd. You want some kind of contour to hold in more of the aromas. My personal favorite is the English pub glass. Preferably one with laser etching in the bottom which create nucleation points and makes your mugs retain a nice firm head where wonderful aromas are trapped thus making your beer taste better. Unless you have skunky beer that is. 

FYI Every style of beer has its preferred glassware. 

• Thanks 1

whenever i visit a new brewery or distillery, i almost always try to buy a glass or two with their logo. my favorite is the pint glass with the bubble on it. like the pic below. but i have all kinds, stems, whiskey glasses, pints, pilsners....etc.

PILS.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jdub said:

whenever i visit a new brewery or distillery, i almost always try to buy a glass or two with their logo. my favorite is the pint glass with the bubble on it. like the pic below. but i have all kinds, stems, whiskey glasses, pints, pilsners....etc.

PILS.jpg

Thats my favorite too

1E0A2877-76E7-43A9-B548-99DBA16F2FF9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

So you must have “shaker pint” glasses. They are the worst of the worst for any serious beer nerd. You want some kind of contour to hold in more of the aromas. My personal favorite is the English pub glass. Preferably one with laser etching in the bottom which create nucleation points and makes your mugs retain a nice firm head where wonderful aromas are trapped thus making your beer taste better. Unless you have skunky beer that is. 

FYI Every style of beer has its preferred glassware. 

Shaker?  I guess, dunno. Pretty much the standard for many beer pubs and fine (thick to withstand the rigors of dishwashers) but boring.  We did have a pair of very nice pilsner (?) glasses sent to us from Germany from my wife's brother.  They were very tall, very narrow and very thin.  We liked them but they were so fragile a small bump on the counter and they would shatter.  A slick of the finger nail would make them sing.   I like the type Jdub is showing, but I know there are supposed to be different shapes for different beers.  A little research needed here, I guess.

11 minutes ago, McSquirrely said:

but I know there are supposed to be different shapes for different beers.  A little research needed here, I guess.

i'm not very technical. when i want a beer, i open my cabinet, find the nearest glass i'm in the mood for and say that'll do!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i'm not very technical. when i want a beer, i open my cabinet, find the nearest glass i'm in the mood for and say that'll do!

I've been known to drink beer from mason jars.  Esp when the men are around for a ball game or outdoor BBQ.  Most of them aren't too particular either, and can be a little rough on nice stemware. 

9 minutes ago, McSquirrely said:

I've been known to drink beer from mason jars.  Esp when the men are around for a ball game or outdoor BBQ.  Most of them aren't too particular either, and can be a little rough on nice stemware. 

bartender, i'll have a warm schaeffer light in a dirty glass please.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

bartender, i'll have a warm schaeffer light in a dirty glass please.....

Well, we do have our standards:

'bartender, give me a cold one in that solo cup....'

• Like 1

A nonic pint is nice for porters and stouts but more often than not I'll go for my favorite glass:

image.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, McSquirrely said:

Well, we do have our standards:

'bartender, give me a cold one in that solo cup....'

How about someone a few months ago at a nice restaurant told the waiter, "I want a bottle of Bud Light, and don't bother with the glass"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:26 AM, MiniYoda said:

How about someone a few months ago at a nice restaurant told the waiter, "I want a bottle of Bud Light, and don't bother with the glass"

To which I say: "Waiter, how about a glass of water - and don't bother with the Bud Light."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ive a Libby's craft beer glass set of glasses. very nice. .  and a pint mug i got as a promotion.  . . but i'm no snob. ill drink beer from plastic cups, boots, styrofoam... whatever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So I have several "shaker pint" glasses and a Sam Adams glass.  Unless I am drinking a pale ale or something hoppy (rarely happens), I just grab whatever glass I feel like pouring into.  I used try to make sure that I had the proper glass for each beer style at least using a tulip on Belgians, but I have now found little difference. 

I am a beer judge and if glassware were really that important, I think we would be judging samples poured into the glassware for the style we are judging.  Instead, we are judging samples poured into a clear plastic cup which maintains no head retention and has very little capacity to hold aromas.

• Like 3

No real mugs (with a handle) except a souvenir German one with a lid that I don't use.

• Like 1

I like mugs with a handle if those are shaker pints,  though my two favs only hold 12oz

We also have some tulip shaped and a couple like this that I like a lot.

20181229_184036.thumb.jpg.36a9f77af2d5606227d496e4c47aae14.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

ive a Libby's craft beer glass set of glasses. very nice. .  and a pint mug i got as a promotion.  . . but i'm no snob. ill drink beer from plastic cups, boots, styrofoam... whatever.

Almost anything, but a can.  I cannot, will not, drink beer from a can.  I draw the line on cans.  I know their worth for storing beer, but I hate drinking from one.  Even the solo cup is a great step upward from the can. 😋

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:51 AM, Cato said:

I like mugs with a handle if those are shaker pints,  though my two favs only hold 12oz

We also have some tulip shaped and a couple like this that I like a lot.

Here's a mug with a handle - tho technically, it's probably better for Lynchburg lemonade drinks than beer.  But I'm not picky and this held our 'Brrr's' just fine.

DSC_0005.JPG

Assuming this is known, but in case some don't know... called a shaker pint because it's used to shake mixed drinks.  Not really the best glass for any particular beer style, but bars like them because they are easy to clean, ans also are sturdy and stackable.

Boston Cocktail Shaker Tin and Glass at drinkstuff.com

Here's a good guide image to glass styles...  I used to not be very picky, but have learned during tastings with glassware companies that it does indeed make a difference...  Changes to aroma, head, carb, etc. can come from the different glass styles.  I always have much more confidence in a beer bar if they have a few different glass styles, but at least don't hand me a frosted pint glass or mug, please?

Glassware By Beer Style - Brookston Beer Bulletin

Side note:  I have way too many glasses...  

5376683027751144283%253Faccount_id%253D0

• Like 3

7 hours ago, swenocha said:

Assuming this is known, but in case some don't know... called a shaker pint because it's used to shake mixed drinks.  Not really the best glass for any particular beer style, but bars like them because they are easy to clean, ans also are sturdy and stackable.

Boston Cocktail Shaker Tin and Glass at drinkstuff.com

Here's a good guide image to glass styles...  I used to not be very picky, but have learned during tastings with glassware companies that it does indeed make a difference...  Changes to aroma, head, carb, etc. can come from the different glass styles.  I always have much more confidence in a beer bar if they have a few different glass styles, but at least don't hand me a frosted pint glass or mug, please?

Glassware By Beer Style - Brookston Beer Bulletin

Side note:  I have way too many glasses...  

5376683027751144283%253Faccount_id%253D0

We mostly have the Weizen, shaker, and mug style. I obviously haven't been particular in my glass standards, though I've made some progress.

I rarely drink from a beer bottle, and avoid beer in ice tea glass and Dixie cups.

However, I like the looks of your glass in the bottom left middle with the blue logo. That interests me because of the wide bell at the top. I would think you'd get maximum aroma from that design.

I typically don't go overboard with adding so much hops that it  masks the malt, but love the aroma they bring to the table.  Plus, I've been using a few more aromatic malts in my recipes.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

We mostly have the Weizen, shaker, and mug style. I obviously haven't been particular in my glass standards, though I've made some progress.

I rarely drink from a beer bottle, and avoid beer in ice tea glass and Dixie cups.

However, I like the looks of your glass in the bottom left middle with the blue logo. That interests me because of the wide bell at the top. I would think you'd get maximum aroma from that design.

I typically don't go overboard with adding so much hops that it  masks the malt, but love the aroma they bring to the table.  Plus, I've been using a few more aromatic malts in my recipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Pint-Enjoyment-Exclusive-Nucleation/dp/B01MT9RIFZ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=be+hoppy&qid=1549631170&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748KW4JD/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1

It's actually this one...

Rastal Craft Master Grand Glass

It's pretty similar to the Sam Adams glasses on the shelf above it.  Wide bowl and flare for aromas, nucleation and narrow base to keep the carb stirred, etc.  Their additional pitch here is the stacking shelf to make them more easily stackable for bars and such...

image.thumb.png.66d8bb10d74adfa9478251031ae60d70.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swenocha said:

It's actually this one...

Rastal Craft Master Grand Glass

It's pretty similar to the Sam Adams glasses on the shelf above it.  Wide bowl and flare for aromas, nucleation and narrow base to keep the carb stirred, etc.  Their additional pitch here is the stacking shelf to make them more easily stackable for bars and such...

image.thumb.png.66d8bb10d74adfa9478251031ae60d70.png

Lol, @swenocha, I had some errands to run today, so picked up a 4 pack of these Belgian Ale glasses.

20190208_183542.jpg

• Like 3