Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

Hop Storage

Anyone have an opinion on how to store hops? i buy 1 oz packs from my LHBS or from Mr. Beer. I have lots of leftovers. My LHBS keeps them in a freezer. Should I be freezing them or fridging them? next use date unknown. Whenever I need some hops, i guess.

ive only done fridge storage in the salad crisper.  bought some before my lhbs went out of business.. kept for 3 years in a ziplock bag in the fridge with only minimal loss of potency. at least i couldnt tell. no cheese smell so they must still be good.

if you have a vacuum sealer for food bags use it. then put the bags in a ziplock in the fridge.  alternatively , push the air out of the open bags and tape the end closed tight. put in ziplock, shove in mason jar... stick in fridge.

when they start smelling like cheese they are going to be unpleasant in beer. at least that is how my nose perceives expired hops... cheesey.

thanks. i don't have a vacuum sealer, but i'm thinking i need to get one soon. thanks for the tips.

Jdub,

I seal all of my left over hops with a vacuum sealer.  I am able to write the date and alpha acid information on the pack and then I store them in the freezer.  I have used hops that are over a year old with no issues.

By the way, I use the vacuum sealer to seal up my left over grains as well.  I store them at basement temperature in plastic buckets.

Dawg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Temp, uv rays and oxygen are all things that will harm your hops. A vacuum sealed bag in a chest or stand up freezer are the best for long term storage. Your freezer attached to your fridge is not the best option because it goes through a defrost cycle when it has to. 

When hops get old, they dont have to be thrown away. Lots of breweries age their hops for lambics and other sour beers. 

• Thanks 1

So when hops are old they can still be used for bittering? but less for aroma and flavor? 

How does the aroma/flavor change with aging?

I keep my part used pkts with scotch tape seal in a plastic storage container, in a drawer in a basement room that is in low 60's F usually.

If they still smell good I use them.

I often do chuck them if < 1 yr old. I rarely use them for bittering, relying on Mr B HME and maybe a smidgen of extra hop boil sometimes.

9 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

So when hops are old they can still be used for bittering? but less for aroma and flavor? 

How does the aroma/flavor change with aging?

I keep my part used pkts with scotch tape seal in a plastic storage container, in a drawer in a basement room that is in low 60's F usually.

If they still smell good I use them.

I often do chuck them if < 1 yr old. I rarely use them for bittering, relying on Mr B HME and maybe a smidgen of extra hop boil sometimes.

9C23D088-4F13-4737-BDB3-8430018ECB24.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

some old hops just smell like cheese. i would not think that it would impart off flavors to the beer.

• Haha 1