Mr.Beer Community
Don H

Adding flavors

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how to add flavors to the beer? My wife really likes Bud Light Lime. I wouldn't mind trying to add lime flavor to the American Light, but not sure how. And would anyone know if this would be similar to Bud Light Lime?

Bud Light is not beer...

Seriously, you can't brew a commercial beer with Mr. Beer refills, and you can't brew a lager like Bud Light, which has a lot of adjuncts in it.  Not to mention that Bud Light is regular Bud with water added (true).  

The best way to add lime to a beer is to put some lime juice in the glass, or squeeze a lime in it.  

Maybe as you progress in this hobby your wife will see that craft beer and Bud Light aren't remotely the same.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don H said:

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how to add flavors to the beer? My wife really likes Bud Light Lime. I wouldn't mind trying to add lime flavor to the American Light, but not sure how. And would anyone know if this would be similar to Bud Light Lime?

My wife too! I got her to switch to Bud Light and she just adds a squirt of lime concentrate to her glass before she pours.

Lol, Rick beat me to it!

1 minute ago, RickBeer said:

Bud Light is not beer...

Seriously, you can't brew a commercial beer with Mr. Beer refills, and you can't brew a lager like Bud Light, which has a lot of adjuncts in it.  

The best way to add lime to a beer is to put some lime juice in the glass, or squeeze a lime in it.  

Cool. Thanks Rick!

I'd like to toss in the idea of lime zest during fermentation, as per a recipe or two on Mr. Beer's inventory.

• Like 1

I still have a couple more weeks before my American Light is ready to drink. I'll definitely give the squirt of lime juice or squeeze of lime a try and see how she likes it. This is really good news to me since I wouldn't want to brew a batch of something nasty to everyone but maybe her. My goal is to brew beers that I, my family and friends can all enjoy.

• Like 1

Just now, MiniYoda said:

I'd like to toss in the idea of lime zest, as per a recipe or two on Mr. Beer's inventory.

I looked on the Mr Beer site and could only find one that had a lime flavor. A mexican type of beer. Might give that a try as well.

1 hour ago, Don H said:

I still have a couple more weeks before my American Light is ready to drink. I'll definitely give the squirt of lime juice or squeeze of lime a try and see how she likes it. This is really good news to me since I wouldn't want to brew a batch of something nasty to everyone but maybe her. My goal is to brew beers that I, my family and friends can all enjoy.

You're looking at this all wrong.

Figure out what she likes.  Make her a whole batch.  "Honey, I made this JUST FOR YOU".

Then make a crapload of other beers that she hates.  "But honey, you have YOUR BEER, which is MUCH BETTER than these beers."

Of the dozen or so beers I make, my wife likes 4 or 5 of them.  More for me!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Figure out what she likes.  Make her a whole batch.  "Honey, I made this JUST FOR YOU".

Then make a crapload of other beers that she hates.  "But honey, you have YOUR BEER, which is MUCH BETTER than these beers."

My wife sticks with her Bud Lights with a squirt of lime juice. She has taken a sip of nearly everything I've brewed, she makes a nice comment and hands it back. I think she drank a whole one once when she was out of buds. My feelings are completely intact, as is the pipeline. All is well.

• Haha 1

Tell her to switch to wine?  Sangria is very good.

No offense but she might not be a craft beer drinker.  Not to criticize, but let her enjoy what she enjoys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

And 4 or 5 to share together 

Always the romantic. LOL.

Around here, SWMBO doesn't like beer, and for that I am truly greatful.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

I hear you Rick. Can't beat your experience! Lol

2 hours ago, D Kristof said:

Always the romantic. LOL.

Around here, SWMBO doesn't like beer, and for that I am truly greatful.

Same here - I say smell this fruit or whatever. She says - "yes, smells like beer" and passes it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1