Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
DrMJG

Fermentation results!

Recently, I have created a new, moist, and frustrating experience. 

When I have opened the last three or so of my Bohemian style pilsners, they come with a free beer shower!  The only things I can think of that might affect. that much of a geyser are: too much sugar added of affect from adding booster.

Based on very fine suggestions from the past, I took 1/4 tsp off of the amount recommended addition per 12oz bottle.  I have done this in the past and maybe get one that is a bit fizzier but I do not need to shower after opening one.  I added booster in the ratio of 1 booster/lbk (I made a double batch).  Again no change from the past batches.

I do not have any true bottle bombs,  just a brew that overly enjoys being opened.  Beer had conditioned 5 weeks after bottling and is kept in cool dark space for storage and hits fridge 3 days before I consume it.

Now as I built a double batch, I may have mis-added sugar for a 6 pack or so, but I have had all 9 I have tried to consume fizz up.  (I now open them over a pitcher so I keep most beer to drink)

Any thoughts.  My local brewing pals suggest a bit more subtraction of sugar if booster used.  Others suggest I make sure I use ONLY the 1/4tsp measuring  spoon when adding. Another suggestion was bottling only 1/2 liter size bottles, less chance of over fizzing the beer. (I like a medium head on this particular style)

As well, any suggestions on how to open over fizzed beers so I don't have to wash down the kitchen?

Your local brewing pals have no idea what they are talking about regarding booster.

Booster is added before fermentation.  No matter how much you add, or if you added table sugar, as long as you ferment completely it has zero impact on your bottles.  That's the whole process of fermentation, the sugar is eaten...

If you're putting in 1/2 to 3/4 tsp per 12 oz bottle, that should be fine.  If you're using more than that, you could be overcarbonating.

Reasons for a shower:

1) Fermentation is not done.  Didn't go 21 days, or didn't check to ensure final gravity was where it should have been.  Possible cause, fermenting too cold.

2) Infection.

• Like 2

What Rick said.  😁

Original description of adding priming sugar and relating that to discussion of Booster seems confusing.

If unsure on measuring sugar and using booster :

Add booster dissolved in mix with HME before putting it LBK and fermenting it.

Don't bottle for 3 weeks

Sugar for priming in bottle is easy if using PET, use sugar dots, (198 to the lb) put 3 in a 1L, 2 in a 0.75 L, and put 1 in a 12 oz glass bottle.

If you want really high carb, put 4 in a  1L, 3 in a 0.75 L and 1.5 in a 12 oz. (I cut them with a chef knife).

• Like 2

On 2/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, Nickfixit said:

What Rick said.  😁

Original description of adding priming sugar and relating that to discussion of Booster seems confusing.

Don't bottle for 3 weeks

Sugar for priming in bottle is easy if using PET, use sugar dots, (198 to the lb) put 3 in a 1L, 2 in a 0.75 L, and put 1 in a 12 oz glass bottle.

If you want really high carb, put 4 in a  1L, 3 in a 0.75 L and 1.5 in a 12 oz. (I cut them with a chef knife).

On 2/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, Nickfixit said:

What Rick said.  😁

Don't bottle for 3 weeks

What they said.

as for the possible infection, it could have been caused simple by not thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing the bottles or caps. First time I used Nottingham yeast, every bottle fizzed. Double down on your thoroughness for sanitation.