Mr.Beer Community
Mic-S

Muntons vs MRB?

Not to be disloyal to MRB (to whom I owe everything I know, almost, about brewing) I was forced to pickup a can of Muntons recently for brewing.  I ran out of extracts and had a keg about ready to go when I found a 1.5 Kg can of Muntons in a hardware store recently.  Nickfixit and I have been discussing it here.  I decided to brew today, rather than tomorrow, because it's snowing like crazy outside and we often lose our power when it does.  I didn't want to see the snow prevent me from brewing tomorrow so just as soon as I had my batch bottled this morning I set right out to brew this experiment (no recipe!) with the Muntons.  I halved the can 'cause the 1.5 Kg is about double what a standard MRB can holds. 

So, 1# of dme, ¾ cup of agave nectar, 2 MRB booster packs and ½ can of Muntons later - boom!  Wild Coyote 1 is in the keg. I. Brix was measured at 16.5, I. Grav at 1.068.  Color: very light, oddly, but nice. It's odd too that Muntons  states the beer is usually done fermenting in 4-6 days!!   I'm staying with the 14-day regimen where I'll check the brix, then check it again on day 18 and crash if it's stable.

Muntons.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Kristof said:

was that a hopped malt extract?

Yes, it is.  It's about 1/2" taller than an MRB Diablo can, same diameter.  The Munton's Premium Lager which is in their 'Canadian' line.  The cap on this Munton is the cap off the MRB St. Paticks can (which I used to measure out half of this can).  I have this (left-over half) in the fridge for my next batch. 

I bought it rather than the Coopers because it was on sale for $17.98; the Coopers was $2 more.  NickFixit left me a link to their site where they sell a lot of different extracts, like MRB.  The store where I found mine had only 3 choices.  Like MRB, it includes a propriatory yeast under the cap.

Edited by McSquirrely
additions

Better take steps to protect that leftover HME.  As discussed often on the site, cover it with a layer of vodka, and then plastic wrap, and refrigerate.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Better take steps to protect that leftover HME.  As discussed often on the site, cover it with a layer of vodka, and then plastic wrap, and refrigerate.

Whoa!  Vodka?  lol 

You're probably absolutely right, Rick, but I have no such thing in the house and town is 28 miles away.  However, I recapped it with a sanitized MRB cap and refrigerated it immediately after I poured out the top half into the empty MRB can (also sanitized).  I'll be using it soon in Coyote 2, in about 9 more days.  IF I get to town before then - well, that's a great excuse to pickup a bottle of vodka! 😍

but I did take your advice partly: I've removed the cap, stretched a layer of cellophane over the opening and recapped.  Seems the most prudent thing I could do at least.  Thanks, R

15 hours ago, Stevo0083 said:

You brewing as a lager or ale?

As a 'wild coyote'. 

I don't really know what to call this because it began life as a Canadian-style light lager when I upped it with the DME and agave.  It's not dissimilar to what I did with a can of MRB American Lager and that particular experiment turned out delicious (my Sweet 'lil Holga' which I have now made three batches of).  I really am winging it here, not something I would ever recommend to a new brewer who wants to really learn about brewing the different styles of beer.  I think I drive Rick nuts with my 'mad scientist' method of brewing which seeks only to find ways to make something that tastes good and looks good in the glass at the lowest possible price per gallon.

• Like 1

Day 6 Brix reading on the 'Wild Coyote' this morning was 9.0, down from an initial 16.5 at kegging.  I was concerned because this recipe (pitched with the Munton proprietary yeast) did not seem to exhibit much of a 'high krausen' - at least not like my previous 11 MRB recipes did.  But already the alcohol in solution is pretty high given just one week.  This will require careful watching to see how much more (if any) brix and gravity changes from here on out.  It's still very cloudy, to be expected at day 7, but wow (!) did the gravity fall on this one!