Mr.Beer Community

I have American Lager Light in a LBK.  It will be due to be bottled this coming Fri ( that's the three week mark.)  I have discovered that I do not have any sanitizer for the bottles and I can not order any until Fri or the following Mon.  By the time it comes it will probably be at the 4 week mark in the LBK.  Will this hurt the finished product or should it still be OK?

8 minutes ago, pborder said:

I have American Lager Light in a LBK.  It will be due to be bottled this coming Fri ( that's the three week mark.)  I have discovered that I do not have any sanitizer for the bottles and I can not order any until Fri or the following Mon.  By the time it comes it will probably be at the 4 week mark in the LBK.  Will this hurt the finished product or should it still be OK?

do you have an amazon prime account? i would order some star san and you would probably have it in hand in 2 days.

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

do you have an amazon prime account? i would order some star san and you would probably have it in hand in 2 days.

This will solve your problem.

But yes, four weeks will be okay.  But that's about the maximum you'd want the beer sitting on the trub.

• Like 1

Thanks, as an Amazonaholic I do have Prime.  Looking at it the Star San seems the more cost effective way to go as well.  It looks like the smaller bottle will go a long way.  I will be ordering some as soon as I can.

• Like 1

I bought some Starsan but have not opened it yet as I am procrastinating on getting a suitable container for storing diluted stuff and  also a good way to measure it out for small quantities. THe bottle measurer seems to cater to industrial use. They need a SMALL bottle for home users with dispenser for 1 gal increments of solution.

2 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I bought some Starsan but have not opened it yet as I am procrastinating on getting a suitable container for storing diluted stuff and  also a good way to measure it out for small quantities. THe bottle measurer seems to cater to industrial use. They need a SMALL bottle for home users with dispenser for 1 gal increments of solution.

I use 1.5 tsp per gallon. I'll store a gallon out in the garage in an empty gal spring water jug. I'll normally brew twice in a month so that's as long as I'll  store it. Since I usually get 6 jugs of spring water I change out the storage jugs since it is an acid based mix. Mainly use it in my spray bottle and sanitizing my ss fermenters. I use the MB sanitizer packets for my LBK and glass bottles.

The correct ratio for a gallon is 1.2 teaspoons.  Because it's impossible to measure 1.2 teaspoons, instead of putting in 25% more, I put 1 teaspoon in 0.8 gallons, because I can measure that.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

The correct ratio for a gallon is 1.2 teaspoons.  Because it's impossible to measure 1.2 teaspoons, instead of putting in 25% more, I put 1 teaspoon in 0.8 gallons, because I can measure that.  

that's too complex for me. instructions say 1 oz per gallon. i just eyeball a little less than a 1/4 oz on the onboard measuring thing and pour in a gallon pitcher of warm water. never had any problems. always keep some handy in a spray bottle as well.

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Lol, whatever works. I go with the tad stronger as it seems to keep better without clouding up between my brew days.