Mr.Beer Community
Tbird

Octoberfest

Just sampled my first attempt.The color,head and carbonation was spot-on. The flavor was lacking though. Any suggestions for a little bite. Also the alcohol content seemed very low. 

Basic Oktoberfest will be more malty than hoppy - but if using basic with booster not LME, you get less malty.

Look at some of the recipe suggestions on Mr B page for those that use that HME and have more malt/hops in if you have more of the Oktoberfest to use up , otherwise make something else - there is a lot to choose from. The Bindlestick wheat I am drinking now is quite craft-beer like in nature. 

For more ABV bite, add malt/booster pack depending what your taste is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tbird said:

Just sampled my first attempt.The color,head and carbonation was spot-on. The flavor was lacking though. Any suggestions for a little bite. Also the alcohol content seemed very low. 

1st of all congrats on your 1st brew! going forward, there are a lot of things you can do to add ABV. make a partial mash recipe, will give you more flavor, body and abv. super easy using grains. if you can steep a tea bag, you can do a PM recipe. Adding booster is a good idea too. i do that on most mrb recipes. you can add DME or LME. some brewers are fond of adding 1/2 cup or whole cup of honey as well. you just have to experiment and do a lot of reading. call MRB customer service, and they will give you advice, or your local HBS. my free advice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers. I'm just missing the hoppy flavor that I've become accustomed to. Also the ABV in the 5-6 range. Recipe page seems to clear that up. Cheers!

• Like 1