Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joe G

Been a bit cold - can fermenting go longer than 3 weeks?

Hi all -

I was just about to cold crash my Howling Red Ale today, and had a taste before hand.  It didn't taste completely done yet.  I'm guessing because it has been a bit colder than normal this week, and the temp showing on my stick-on thermometer on the LBK is showing about 66 degrees, which I'm guessing is slowing the fermenting process a bit.  Problem is, I'm going out of town until Thursday, about 5 days past bottling time.  Is it OK to let it continue to ferment a bit longer like that?  Sorry if this is a basic question, this is the 7th beer I've brewed (all with great results) and I've never encountered this issue before.  Thanks for any advice!

66 is fine, in fact it's PERFECT.  If it didn't taste sweet, it's done.

It's also ok to go 3 weeks and 5 days.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @RickBeer !  Good to know the temp isn't as much of an issue as I thought.  It definitely did not taste sweet, but kind of had an aftertaste of very slight vinegary-ness, which I have read elsewhere is a sign the fermenting has a few more days to go.  So I will let it go to Thursday and look forward to bottling upon my return!

Any "vinegar-like" taste is not a good sign.  But as to whether or not it's done, fermenting eats sugar so the taste test is sweetness.  Using a hydrometer would tell you whether it's actually done, no tasting needed.

• Like 1

@RickBeer I may not be describing it right, it is just a flavor i tasted once before when tasting my beer before crashing.  I let it go a few more days and it was fine.  But that was a more basic recipe, this is the Howling Red, so maybe I'm just tasting the different hops I've never used before?  I don't know.  Would rather play it safe.  

I did just get my hydrometer, I just need to learn how to use it first before trying, haven't had the time to read a bit more about it.  Will likely use it for my next brew.

• Like 1

Hydrometers are easy to use, look under RickBeer's post. No harm in going a few extra days either, but if the yeast are very cold, they have stopped working ( ale yeast). I think that 66 deg F is perfect, and I try to brew near that.

• Like 1

On Thursday, March 07, 2019 at 10:15 AM, RickBeer said:

66 is fine, in fact it's PERFECT.  If it didn't taste sweet, it's done.

It's also ok to go 3 weeks and 5 days.  😉

Do you ever tire answering this question? LOL. Maybe it's the beer, but do I sense a level of snarkiness in your use of uppercase for the word "PERFECT"?

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2019 at 11:31 AM, Joe G said:

@RickBeer I may not be describing it right, it is just a flavor i tasted once before when tasting my beer before crashing.  I let it go a few more days and it was fine.  But that was a more basic recipe, this is the Howling Red, so maybe I'm just tasting the different hops I've never used before?  I don't know.  Would rather play it safe.  

I did just get my hydrometer, I just need to learn how to use it first before trying, haven't had the time to read a bit more about it.  Will likely use it for my next brew.

Hydrometer is a great tool. Make sure to log your readings and observations for each brew as it's a great help when you brew a recipe again.