Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadowspawn

LME Softpack versus Brewmax Booster

I'm about to boil my fourth beer.  The first one (American Pale) turned out spectacularly (refrigerator is full of 25 ounce bottles now after testing one), and I've got two others conditioning and looking very encouraging.  Time to boil a fourth and get it fermenting.

I have three different refills on hand, and I am thinking I'll do the Bavarian Weissbeer for this next one.  The question is about the adjuncts.

I notice that there are two versions of the Bavarian Weissbeer.  The standard one has Brewmax Booster packets.  The Deluxe has the LME Softpack.

Questions:

1. What is the difference between these two adjunct ingredients in terms of the final outcome, the end product beer?  How does each affect the final product?

2. If I used both the LME Softpack and the two Brewmax Boosters together (I have both on hand now, so I could do that tomorrow), would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?  If it is a good thing, would it effect the fermenting time and / or the conditioning time?

3. Does the difference between LME Softpack - Golden an LME Softpack - Pale affect the drinking profile of the final product at all, or is it just a color thing?

Thanks for any advice!

1. The softpack would give you a more full bodied beer and better mouthfeel. The booster packs will get the job done just may "feel" a little thinner.

2. You could use the boosters and the soft pack. your ABV would be bumped up quite a bit. Will need more conditioning time.

3.From what I understand the golden is geared to wheat and the pale is two row malts. would have slightly different characteristics.

Brew on! 

10 hours ago, Shadowspawn said:

I'm about to boil my fourth beer.  The first one (American Pale) turned out spectacularly (refrigerator is full of 25 ounce bottles now after testing one), and I've got two others conditioning and looking very encouraging.  Time to boil a fourth and get it fermenting.

I have three different refills on hand, and I am thinking I'll do the Bavarian Weissbeer for this next one.  The question is about the adjuncts.

I notice that there are two versions of the Bavarian Weissbeer.  The standard one has Brewmax Booster packets.  The Deluxe has the LME Softpack.

Questions:

1. What is the difference between these two adjunct ingredients in terms of the final outcome, the end product beer?  How does each affect the final product?

2. If I used both the LME Softpack and the two Brewmax Boosters together (I have both on hand now, so I could do that tomorrow), would that be a good thing, or a bad thing?  If it is a good thing, would it effect the fermenting time and / or the conditioning time?

3. Does the difference between LME Softpack - Golden an LME Softpack - Pale affect the drinking profile of the final product at all, or is it just a color thing?

Thanks for any advice!

Have you read the descriptions of the two products on the Mr. Beer site?  Answers all your questions.

https://www.mrbeer.com/brewmax-lme-softpack-golden

https://www.mrbeer.com/mrbeer-booster-1410

12 hours ago, Shadowspawn said:

Questions:

Thanks for any advice!

One thing to consider when adding LME is that the balance of maltiness vs. hoppiness in the final product will be shifted a tad towards malty.  To counter this, some people will add a bit of hops at flameout or boil them for a few minutes.  Tettnanger, Saaz, or Hallertau are three varieties that complement the style.

• Like 1

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 8:01 PM, Shadowspawn said:

Questions:

Thanks for any advice!

You've already been given 3 good answers to your questions, but I will toss my wooden nickle of advice any way. Booster is a combination of different sugars. Be careful with your fermentation temperatures or you could get off flavors which will fade over time, but who wants to wait with a wheat beer?

One thing to add - keep the bottles OUT of the fridge unless you are going to drink them all . Put what you expect to drink into the fridge 3-4 days before. Let the rest sit and condition longer. You'll notice a difference (a positive way) in the ones that condition longer. BTW I always opt for added malt rather than booster. I've never found that a packet of LME or a few ounces of DME wildly swings the flavor to make the beer too malty.