Mr.Beer Community
pborder

carbo drops vs sugar

Since returning to Mr Beer I have only used the carbo drops mostly for the convenience.  Before I only used sugar because it was the only thing the instructions mentioned.  I have been a bit disappointed in the amount of carbonation that I have been getting.  I seem to remember more but with the batches that I have done there has been very little ( I will confess that I do have a hard time waiting much past two weeks).  The bottles were new and the tops were screwed on as tightly as I can.  This latest batch of American Porter I am trying an experiment.  Half the bottles were sugar and half carbo drops.  In two weeks I will take a bottle of each, chill them and see if there is a difference in carbonation.  While I'm waiting I wanted to ask if any of you have had problems with the drops or if you see a difference between using them and using sugar?

What temperature are the bottles sitting at while carbonating?  It's recommended to do a full three weeks at room temperature, meaning around 70-75F, to completely carb your brews.  If it's cooler than that, it'll take longer.

I've never used the drops.  I've always used sugar.  Now I stick with Domino's Dots.  1 sugar cube = 1/2 tsp.  I use one for 12oz bottles and two for pint and 500ml bottles.  Simple and fool-proof.  

th?id=OIP.Ts5khVDDHfEPuWeorqnTkQHaHa%26p

• Like 4

Actually, the recommendation is 3-4.  3 weeks fermenting with wort temps at 65, 4 weeks carbonating and conditioning at 70 or higher.  Then 3 days or more in the frig.

If you go less than 4 weeks, or less than 3 days, you won't have the same level of carbonation.  The 3 days is needed for the CO2 to absorb back into the beer.

• Like 3