Mr.Beer Community
Rjg08

Fermentation & Bottling

Do I follow the directions on the can or use the standard instructions. The can says 10 days fermenting & 2 weeks bottling. I just want it to come out right

19 minutes ago, Rjg08 said:

Do I follow the directions on the can or use the standard instructions. The can says 10 days fermenting & 2 weeks bottling. I just want it to come out right

Go three weeks fermenting, bottle, then four weeks carbonating at room temperature.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Go three weeks fermenting, bottle, then four weeks carbonating at room temperature.

It may be carbonated adequately at 2 weeks, but the 4 weeks gives the yeast more time to clean up any off flavors.

And be patient, give it 3 days in the fridge before opening it for best results - this impacts proper absorption of the carbonation.  If you are really impatient, put several in and you can hopefully see the difference over the few days. If you see no difference I guess it won't matter for you.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Just went from 6 weeks to 7 weeks and 2 days, lol. I’ll need to adjust my schedule between brews

Have patience. You can't go wrong with three weeks fermenting (at the proper temperature) and letting the bottles sit for a month at room temperature while they carbonate and condition. Basically, you need 2 months (including a few days in the fridge before you imbibe your potent potable) 😉 

• Like 1

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM, Rjg08 said:

Ok, thanks for the advice. Just went from 6 weeks to 7 weeks and 2 days, lol. I’ll need to adjust my schedule between brews

This hobby/obcession has a high turn over rate. Patience, temperature control and patience are key points which can not be over emphasized. Can you make beer sooner? Yes. Will you enjoy drinking that faster beer? Probably not. If you can wait, the yeast will finish doing what they do. 

• Like 2