Mr.Beer Community
StretchNM

Advice for Brewing "That Voodoo....."

To those that have brewed MRB's Voodoo (and to those that haven't brewed it but have read, heard, seen, or otherwise learned certain things about it from your own research).

In a couple of weeks or so, I'm going to brew this batch of Voodoo. It calls for 1 packed, level cup of brown sugar to be stirred into the boil and dissolved before flameout. Then the HME and LME (Golden) get mixed in. What have you learned that'll help me ensure a successful batch? Dark brown sugar? Medium? Light? Extra minutes at the boil? Less? Best time to dissolve the sugar? Use more... or less? Best wort temp for pitching the yeast? Best temp for fermentation? Raising or lowering wort temp in final phase of fermentation? Cold crashing (that seems a given)? etc., etc. Following the instructions is how I'm pretty sure I'll go for this first batch, but there may be a thing or two you men know that I might try.

I have a new LBK, so I might start even sooner. Maybe. If I don't start sooner, then I'll start later.

Thank you

ON EDIT: Oooops. I think I may have put this in the wrong sub-forum. Maybe it belongs in the Basic Brewing Techniques forum. Moderators, please move if you think it's necessary. Thanks

I did not care for the final result when I made it.  Brown sugar can add a flavor that some people taste as licorice.  If I were to brew it again I'd follow the instructions but only use 1/2 cup of light brown sugar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I did not care for the final result when I made it.  Brown sugar can add a flavor that some people taste as licorice.  If I were to brew it again I'd follow the instructions but only use 1/2 cup of light brown sugar.

i would second @Shrike's comments. i brewed that recipe and did not like it. If I were to brew it again, I would skip the brown sugar and find another adjunct, like corn sugar, or honey to sub for it. I have a can of BAA and will give it another shot at some point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both. What about cane sugar? If honey how much?

15 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Thank you both. What about cane sugar? If honey how much?

I agree with the posters above, I did not like it and if I brewed it again would brew with cane sugar instead of brown sugar.  Cane sugar would be a 1 : 1 substitute.

• Like 2

Thanks BDawg62. Now, what to do with 150lbs of brown sugar (50 lbs each light, med, dark)(?). Nothin's easy.

Hmmmm. I'm wondering too if maybe one MRB Booster pack would substitute(?). Maybe that would be too much. I have access to cane sugar. I'll use that.

It's weird too, because Voodoo has so many good reviews. All of them are 4 years ago. Maybe the recipe has changed a little and now brown sugar is not good for it.

Brown sugar contains molasses, which is not good in beer,  it does tend to leave a licorice type of taste. 

Regular white sugar will dry the beer and not leave those flavors behind.  You could use 3/4 cup of honey but the flavor of honey goes away and sugar has the same effect without the cost.  Corn sugar could be substituted but may leave a little sweetness behind because it is not 100% fermentable.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Thanks BDawg62. Now, what to do with 150lbs of brown sugar (50 lbs each light, med, dark)(?).

maybe make some cookies and have a bake sale? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Thanks BDawg62. Now, what to do with 150lbs of brown sugar (50 lbs each light, med, dark)(?). Nothin's easy.

Hmmmm. I'm wondering too if maybe one MRB Booster pack would substitute(?). Maybe that would be too much. I have access to cane sugar. I'll use that.

It's weird too, because Voodoo has so many good reviews. All of them are 4 years ago. Maybe the recipe has changed a little and now brown sugar is not good for it.

If you use the lightest brown sugar you can find and drink the beer within a relatively short period of time the licorice flavor melds with the others. I found if I leave a bottle for a year licorice will be all I taste.

• Like 1

Thanks D Kristof. I wonder what would happen if I used 1/2 cup of light brown and 1/2 cup of cane sugar.....

The thing about this Voodoo is that, according to MRB's instructions, total "Brewing and Shying Time" is 3 to 4 months. That's a long time and then I'd have to add time to drink that beer. The licorice taste reports are a little troubling. I got the Deluxe refill, which has the Brewmax Golden LME instead of two Booster packs. I wonder if that would make a difference. What I mean is - did you all use the Standard or Deluxe refill?

11 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

Thanks D Kristof. I wonder what would happen if I used 1/2 cup of light brown and 1/2 cup of cane sugar.....

The thing about this Voodoo is that, according to MRB's instructions, total "Brewing and Shying Time" is 3 to 4 months. That's a long time and then I'd have to add time to drink that beer. The licorice taste reports are a little troubling. I got the Deluxe refill, which has the Brewmax Golden LME instead of two Booster packs. I wonder if that would make a difference. What I mean is - did you all use the Standard or Deluxe refill?

The  booster packs are only a mix of sugars. The golden LME will add more mouthfeel and better head retention than the booster packs. The deluxe refill will be better for delaying the molasses' licorice aftertaste.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

i made the voodoo recipe as is. that uses the BAA hme. i would eliminate the brown sugar all together if i were to brew it over again. if you really want to test it out, get 3 cans of it, brew 1 straight up, one voodoo recipe and one subbing cane sugar. you need a point of reference imho.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jdub said:

i made the voodoo recipe as is. that uses the BAA hme. i would eliminate the brown sugar all together if i were to brew it over again. if you really want to test it out, get 3 cans of it, brew 1 straight up, one voodoo recipe and one subbing cane sugar. you need a point of reference imho.

I made this beer back in December (27th) and instead of the brown sugar I subbed one cup of agave nectar.  I don't know how to tell you how it was different from the recipe because I have only made this one batch - but it was good.  lol  That's about the limit of my descriptions...good/bad...dark/light...sweet/bitter....hoppy/not...  but I think the agave was a better choice than what the brown sugar might have been.  Low abv, tho.  Just under 6.0%. Drinking the last of it (except for my 3 archived bottles) now.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:17 PM, StretchNM said:

To those that have brewed MRB's Voodoo (and to those that haven't brewed it but have read, heard, seen, or otherwise learned certain things about it from your own research).

In a couple of weeks or so, I'm going to brew this batch of Voodoo. It calls for 1 packed, level cup of brown sugar to be stirred into the boil and dissolved before flameout. Then the HME and LME (Golden) get mixed in. What have you learned that'll help me ensure a successful batch? Dark brown sugar? Medium? Light? 

Hearing from others about the taste effects of brown sugar, esp the dark, and some research on the net led me to try subbing one cup of agave nectar for the bs.  My batch turned out good, not one of my best, but good.  I think I might try this again, with the brown sugar, just to see what the difference might be.  Good luck and do let us know how yours turns out. 

P.S. Don't worry about where you posted your question, as long as it gets seen by others.  There's a lot of experienced brewers lurking around the forum (not me, I'm new like you) and you can learn a lot by following the threads and asking questions. Brew On!

• Like 1