Mr.Beer Community
Marion

When to use a "Krausen Kollar"

What beers do you use a "Krausen Kollar" . I am new at making beer and just got a 2 gallon fermenter with one

if you ferment in a big enough fermenter you will never need a collar.  if your fermenter is 2 gallons and you brew a 1.5 gallon batch, it should be able to handle even a very vigorous fermentation.  it's all about the headspace.. or how much room you give the wort to expand before it spews out the top. i try to have about 3 inches of headspace in my buckets and fermenters.

the collar is used to keep the krausen from turning into volcano and blowing out the top of the fermenter by giving it a little extra expansion room.

it isnt the style of beer that causes aggressive fermentations. it is the yeast.  my 3rd mr beer kit was the diablo with some tweaks. i used us04 i think. the yeast was particularly aggressive and my 3 gallon fermenter with 1 gallon of headspace filled with krausen... shot the foam out the airlock and it continued to gush like a volcano for over a whole day.

this is what using a collar hopes to prevent....

I find the Krausen Kollar is best for brews using fruit. Those rascals can get messy real quick.

fruit??? in beer? ptooey!

yeah.. dumping in tons of fermentables when the yeast has chewed through the wort can cause messy fruit volcanoes.

2 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

fruit??? in beer? ptooey!

yeah.. dumping in tons of fermentables when the yeast has chewed through the wort can cause messy fruit volcanoes.

Lol, man, let me tell you.  Fruited beers are tough.  A kettle soured fruited beer is great, but trying to balance the phenols of a saison with the phenols and tannins of some berries is my newest challenge.  I guess theres a reason classic lambic brewers age their beers on fruit for months.  Trying to rush a fruit beer is proving to be difficult but Im having a lot of fun along the way,  Plus since I don't eat much fruit, I figure Im getting some sort of health benefits for drinking my fruits.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Marion said:

What beers do you use a "Krausen Kollar" . I am new at making beer and just got a 2 gallon fermenter with one

If you are new to brewing and have the 2 gallon MRB fermenter with the Kollar, I would use it.  It is there and as a new brewer it just makes sense to use it.  It will not hurt anything and will definately make sure your Krausen doesn't overflow.

• Like 3

creeps... beer has all the nutrient your body ever will need.they even named a vitamin after it.. vitamin B for Beer.  no need to clutter it up with fruit. ive been drinking beer for ages and i'm in the best shape i've ever been in... round.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I thought it was Vitamin P for..........nevermind

• Haha 1

Eeew - just another thing to wash.

😎

• Haha 1

That said, I do have a 2 gal fermenter with a krausen collar. I much prefer the LBKs for ease of use so I do not use it much. I do not find I have a problem with trub/bits (That I am aware of anyway). If there is a lot floating I will rock the LBK to wet them a few days before bottling and it all will have settled by then.