Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdub

adding honey

hey, i have an IPA that's about 1 week into fermentation, so the bubbling and krausen is over. my OG came in a little low for what i wanted. i was thinking about adding honey to the fermenter now to boost it a bit. any thoughts?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jdub said:

hey, i have an IPA that's about 1 week into fermentation, so the bubbling and krausen is over. my OG came in a little low for what i wanted. i was thinking about adding honey to the fermenter now to boost it a bit. any thoughts?

So your 20% ipa only came in at 19%??? We cant stand for this!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Creeps McLane said:

So your 20% ipa only came in at 19%??? We cant stand for this!

that's really funny! no it's supposed to be an imperial ipa and only came in at around 7%. beersmith suggested it should be around 9% or so. i could leave it alone and be happy or i could add something now.

17 minutes ago, Jdub said:

that's really funny! no it's supposed to be an imperial ipa and only came in at around 7%. beersmith suggested it should be around 9% or so. i could leave it alone and be happy or i could add something now.

Id leave it. Just pretend its 9% when your drinking it

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jdub said:

Had the same issue with my Irish Red, only I forgot to add the honey. I decided to leave it alone. I was shooting for 5.1 or so ABV and will likely be 4.5 or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

Had the same issue with my Irish Red, only I forgot to add the honey. I decided to leave it alone. I was shooting for 5.1 or so ABV and will likely be 4.5 or so.

i was just wondering if i could add it after high krausen with no issues. from what i've read, honey is fairly bacteria resistant, so sanitation is not my concern, but would it have the desired effect of more abv. i skipped adding a lb of sugar in this recipe. i think i'll leave it alone.

• Like 2

As you men know, I'm not a brewer yet. I'm just someone who follows some simple instructions and then comes into forums like this to figure out what went wrong. :blink:  However, I think I can add something regarding the honey. Maybe.

Pure honey is highly bacteria resistant. But I believe honey can carry bacteria and yeasts with it, even if only for a short time, that could then transfer to the fermenting beer. The reason we say pure honey never goes bad is because any impurities in it can be infected if exposed to air when the honey layer is too thin. Maybe if you heated the honey to 170-F or so(?). Or maybe less? But then, I'd fear harming the yeast when adding it to the much cooler ferment. Just a thought....

11 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

As you men know, I'm not a brewer yet. I'm just someone who follows some simple instructions and then comes into forums like this to figure out what went wrong. :blink:  However, I think I can add something regarding the honey. Maybe.

Pure honey is highly bacteria resistant. But I believe honey can carry bacteria and yeasts with it, even if only for a short time, that could then transfer to the fermenting beer. The reason we say pure honey never goes bad is because any impurities in it can be infected if exposed to air when the honey layer is too thin. Maybe if you heated the honey to 170-F or so(?). Or maybe less? But then, I'd fear harming the yeast when adding it to the much cooler ferment. Just a thought....

thanks! i will try it one of these days, adding to fermenter. i suppose you could even wind up with some honey flavor, as opposed to adding honey to the boil, where you would not. i'm not afraid to experiment, especially with small 2 or 3 gallon batches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

thanks! i will try it one of these days, adding to fermenter. i suppose you could even wind up with some honey flavor, as opposed to adding honey to the boil, where you would not. i'm not afraid to experiment, especially with small 2 or 3 gallon batches.

The yeast are still going to tear through the sugars in the honey, regardless of whether it was added to the boil or pasteurized and added directly to the LBK.

• Like 1

I began to think about this a little more. I wonder if adding, say a cup, of hot (170-F) honey would even hurt the yeast? Especially since the wort (or beer now, I suppose) is down in the 60's, it seems that small amount of honey would disperse and cool pretty quickly. And even if it did kill some yeast, wouldn't there still be millions or billions of healthy, unaffected survivors to keep the process going? I'm thinking maybe I would just pasteurize the honey and put it in.

8 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

I began to think about this a little more. I wonder if adding, say a cup, of hot (170-F) honey would even hurt the yeast? Especially since the wort (or beer now, I suppose) is down in the 60's, it seems that small amount of honey would disperse and cool pretty quickly. And even if it did kill some yeast, wouldn't there still be millions or billions of healthy, unaffected survivors to keep the process going? I'm thinking maybe I would just pasteurize the honey and put it in.

if i were to boil honey, i would let it cool before adding to the fermenter.

14 minutes ago, Shrike said:

The yeast are still going to tear through the sugars in the honey, regardless of whether it was added to the boil or pasteurized and added directly to the LBK.

ya i hear what you're saying @Shrike just wondering if you would wind up with some honey flavor. I guess not. @RickBeer once told me that the only way to get honey flavor is from mashing with honey malt. maybe i'll test that out soon with a 2 row/cascade smash i have in my queue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StretchNM said:

This is a really bad idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdub said:

if i were to boil honey, i would let it cool before adding to the fermenter.

Yes, or that (now that @RickBeer has spoken)....let it cool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jdub said:

i was just wondering if i could add it after high krausen with no issues. from what i've read, honey is fairly bacteria resistant, so sanitation is not my concern, but would it have the desired effect of more abv. i skipped adding a lb of sugar in this recipe. i think i'll leave it alone.

I'd thought about boiling a small amount of water and then dissolving the honey in it at flameout to add just after krausen but in the end, let it ride as is. Not like I'm going to taste the difference between 4.5 and 5.1, anyway.

• Like 2