Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StretchNM

Bottling Day

(Oh boy! Here we go again! Another newbie showing off pictures of his bottling process, like the greatest accomplishment of the decade. How many of these threads and pictures will I have to suffer before I die?) (((:D)))

Ok. Just kidding. Maybe.

Well we was doing it, and doing it, and doing it well! I got it done and this time the flat (Ale) beer tasted much better. I'm a little ticked off though - I only got 246 oz of beer out of 256. Today's Sunday, but tomorrow Mr Beer Customer Service is going to get an earful about this!

Do you guys eat the trub? Even with toast, I vow never to do this again. Ever.

bottling-1.JPG

• Haha 2

I did forget to mention. I measured my OG at 1041 and my FG at 1011, so about 3.9% or 4.0% ABV. It's supposed to have about 4.2% ABV, which is kind of where I like my beer (4.3 to 5.5 or so). Oh well, as long as it tastes good, I won't mind. THAT Is what's important to me. I can boost these recipes up a tad a little later in my career.

21 hours ago, StretchNM said:

(Oh boy! Here we go again! Another newbie showing off pictures of his bottling process, like the greatest accomplishment of the decade. How many of these threads and pictures will I have to suffer before I die?) (((:D)))

Ok. Just kidding. Maybe.

Well we was doing it, and doing it, and doing it well! I got it done and this time the flat (Ale) beer tasted much better. I'm a little ticked off though - I only got 246 oz of beer out of 256. Today's Sunday, but tomorrow Mr Beer Customer Service is going to get an earful about this!

Do you guys eat the trub? Even with toast, I vow never to do this again. Ever.

bottling-1.JPG

If you filled to the 2 gallon mark, that's  an average yield. I mark my LBK's with a magic marker at 2.25. Helps your yield a bit and overcomes a bit of that volume lost to trub. One packet of booster will negate the dilution. Just what I do to boost the yield.

• Like 1

I was kidding a little, but when I was bottling near the bottom of the keg, I remembered there was that hop sack in there. And when I lifted it out, I bet that thing held 8 ounces on its own! Plus I did leave a little bit of beer in with the trub, which washed down my breakfast trub. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I was kidding a little, but when I was bottling near the bottom of the keg, I remembered there was that hop sack in there. And when I lifted it out, I bet that thing held 8 ounces on its own! Plus I did leave a little bit of beer in with the trub, which washed down my breakfast trub. :)

Hopsacks definitely hold some volume. I try and account for that when dry hopping, but when I add hops to the boil, I'll  squeeze the hop sacks before adding the wort to the fermenter.

• Like 1