Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StretchNM

Don't Sanitize Utensils In the Fermenter

Why doesn't Mr Beer point this out in their instructions? There are so many videos out there showing people throwing all their utensils in the fermenter with solution and shaking it up. In fact, I could be mistaken but I believe there are a couple of three MRB videos showing this practice.

If it's true that minute scratches can harbor harmful bacteria, won't the utensils scratch the fermenter? I think so, maybe MRB doesn't. But if they do, the instructions should boldly state not to do this so as to alert those making videos that they're doing it wrong. Luckily, I never did this, and this last time, since I store my spigot inside the LBK,  I've started putting my spigot in a ziplock baggie so it won't scratch the inside.

Am I wrong on this? Maybe small scratches aren't so bad after all.

• Like 1

You shake the fermenter to mix the solution.  THEN you put in your utensils.

If someone shakes it with the utensils inside, they're probably not long for this hobby...

Scratches are very bad.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

Why doesn't Mr Beer point this out in their instructions? There are so many videos out there showing people throwing all their utensils in the fermenter with solution and shaking it up. In fact, I could be mistaken but I believe there are a couple of three MRB videos showing this practice.

If it's true that minute scratches can harbor harmful bacteria, won't the utensils scratch the fermenter? I think so, maybe MRB doesn't. But if they do, the instructions should boldly state not to do this so as to alert those making videos that they're doing it wrong. Luckily, I never did this, and this last time, since I store my spigot inside the LBK,  I've started putting my spigot in a ziplock baggie so it won't scratch the inside.

Am I wrong on this? Maybe small scratches aren't so bad after all.

To these people I say

th?id=OIP.t4GRvTfJgx9PxIRDsVa58AHaJ4%26p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with you both. But!...... people are making videos where utensils are placed inside their fermenters (inside both MRB fermenters and other fermenters), and then agitated, with gusto. Additionally, if we agree scratches in a fermenter are bad, or very bad, WHY would we put utensils in there in the first place? There is always....always.... the chance that one or more could scratch the inside, whether it's when we put them in, take them out, or during an unintentional dropping or jostling of the LBK (or other fermenter). In fact, I'd say there's a probability.

An experienced brewer I'm not, but a logical, reasoning person with life experience I am. No......logic dictates we use a bowl or other container (I use a long Sterlite container for mine) to sanitize our utensils. I'm not putting a can opener, a spoon (plastic or steel), or scissors in my LBK. And I'm suggesting logic dictates Mr Beer should make mention of it in their instructions. That is, of course, IF.... scratches inside the fermenter can harbor harmful bacteria.

• Like 1

There's a thing called Darwin's Law...  Applies to homebrewing also.  😉

• Like 1

The Darwin Awards are always awarded posthumously (after the recipient removes them self from the gene pool) 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I agree with you both. But!...... people are making videos where utensils are placed inside their fermenters (inside both MRB fermenters and other fermenters), and then agitated, with gusto. Additionally, if we agree scratches in a fermenter are bad, or very bad, WHY would we put utensils in there in the first place? There is always....always.... the chance that one or more could scratch the inside, whether it's when we put them in, take them out, or during an unintentional dropping or jostling of the LBK (or other fermenter). In fact, I'd say there's a probability.

An experienced brewer I'm not, but a logical, reasoning person with life experience I am. No......logic dictates we use a bowl or other container (I use a long Sterlite container for mine) to sanitize our utensils. I'm not putting a can opener, a spoon (plastic or steel), or scissors in my LBK. And I'm suggesting logic dictates Mr Beer should make mention of it in their instructions. That is, of course, IF.... scratches inside the fermenter can harbor harmful bacteria.

Four utensils go into my LBK for sanitizing:

First, a silicone spatula.

Second, a silicone whisk.

Third, a can opener that has no sharp edges.

Finally and potentially most dangerous, the kitchen shears I use to open the yeast packet and LME packets (If used).  These are placed very carefully on top of the other utensils.

The LBK sits in a spot where there is practically zero probability of it being jostled and absolutely zero probability of it being dropped.  

This method has served me faithfully through all my brews. 

But you should do what makes you most comfortable.  Making home brew shouldn't be stressful, so if you want to sanitize your utensils outside of the LBK, you should do so.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shrike said:

Four utensils go into my LBK for sanitizing:

First, a silicone spatula.

Second, a silicone whisk.

Third, a can opener that has no sharp edges.

Finally and potentially most dangerous, the kitchen shears I use to open the yeast packet and LME packets (If used).  These are placed very carefully on top of the other utensils.

The LBK sits in a spot where there is practically zero probability of it being jostled and absolutely zero probability of it being dropped.  

This method has served me faithfully through all my brews. 

But you should do what makes you most comfortable.  Making home brew shouldn't be stressful, so if you want to sanitize your utensils outside of the LBK, you should do so.

I use a big clear plastic bowl that I sanitize my utensils in. 

• Like 1

A large plastic bowl was what I used too, until I got the Sterlite container. It's long, narrow, and shallow so 1 gallon of sanitizer covers tubes, scissors, openers, my silicon spatula, a measuring cup I use to pour solution over and into long objects, and all else.

My issue is not with those who put utensils in the LBKs, but rather with Mr Beer for not warning against it (as my humble opinion thinks they should).

In an earlier thread, I complained that Mr Beer should include more information in their instructions about ambient vs active wort temperatures, a little information on the actual process involved and how beer develops from wort, etc. Someone reminded me that they're aiming at first-time brewers who have only average knowledge, equipment, and space. That's all true, of course, but is no excuse for lackluster instructions. People will have trouble with their first batch(es), give up, bad mouth the company, receive info that MRB is junk and "here's how you should do it", start doing it that way, become successful, and join the ranks of the mockers and bashers.

I guess I ought to just mind my own business and rest in the comfort there are many other sources of equipment and fermentables out there.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

A large plastic bowl was what I used too, until I got the Sterlite container. It's long, narrow, and shallow so 1 gallon of sanitizer covers tubes, scissors, openers, my silicon spatula, a measuring cup I use to pour solution over and into long objects, and all else.

My issue is not with those who put utensils in the LBKs, but rather with Mr Beer for not warning against it (as my humble opinion thinks they should).

In an earlier post, I complained that Mr Beer should include more information in their instructions about ambient vs active wort temperatures, a little information on the actual process involved and how beer develops from wort, etc. Someone reminded me that they're aiming at first-time brewers who have only average knowledge, equipment, and space. That's all true, of course, but is no excuse for lackluster instructions. People will have trouble with their first batch(es), give up, bad mouth the company, receive info that MRB is junk and "here's how you should do it", start doing it that way, become successful, and join the ranks of the mockers and bashers.

I guess I ought to just mind my own business and rest in the comfort there are many other sources of equipment and fermentables out there.  

Lol, that is how I first found this forum, Stretch! I brewed my first two batches exactly by the directions on MRB, and couldn't  understand why they were so bad. Once I discovered on here about temp control, then things rapidly improved.

• Like 2