Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lukon

First Batch CAL

Ordered my Mr. Beer kit on Amazon; it was supposed to be Mexican Cerveza, but I received Classic American Light. No problem right? I follow the directions exactly, “...if there are booster packs, add them at this time...” There were not. I was suspicious after reviewing the refill packages on This site, so I called in. Thanks guys for the help. 

So the next day,, I boil a cup of sugar in a cup of water, let it cool and add it. I’m good with that, as I kind of like a drier beer in the summer. Then I discover these forums...

My temps were too high 70-72 ambient.

Should I let it ferment four weeks instead of three before cold crashing, then condition it even longer, or should I just toss it and start again? I’m expecting cider.  Needless to say, I’m getting a mini-fridge and temp controller setup together. 

I’ll be carbonating and conditioning in 1 gallon stainless mini-kegs, which are in limited supply, so I may not wish to waste the space on crappy beer.  Also, should I move to US-05 yeast for the next batch - the Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner, also from Amazon with no booster - I bought a pound of Pale DME at the local brew shop; should I add the whole pound or half plus some sugar? I know that’s subjective, but give me your opinions.

I brewed three or four decent five gallon batches back in the early nineties, so its not my first rodeo, but things were quite different then, cooler for one. The one bit of good news is that I think my sanitizing was quite good 😉

Zero reason to ferment 4 weeks.

Adding a cup of sugar dries out the beer as you noted.  Add it the next day is not something I would have done.

No reason to use S-05 instead of Mr. Beer yeast.  A pound of DME is pushing the high side.  I might go with 3/4 pound and NO SUGAR.

I hear you. It was not my choice to add the sugar on day two. It was only then that I grew suspicious that something was missing, so I called in and was advised to do so to try and save the batch. I thought I read somewhere here that an extra week of primary fermentation helped clean up the beer some. I guess you’re saying that is not so.

Do you think I should consider just a half pound if DME with the Czech Pilsner?

An extra week does help.  That's going from 2 to 3 weeks.  Week 3 is the extra week.

Follow the 3-4 rule.  3 weeks fermentation (ideally 65 degree wort temp) followed by 4 weeks in bottles (ideally 70 or a bit higher), followed by at least 3 days in the fridge for the beer you will drink in 3 days.

DME is stronger than LME, because the water is removed.  The ratio is:

1 pound of LME = 0.8 pounds of DME.

1 pounds of DME = 1.25 pounds of LME

Adding 1 pound of LME is the max I would do, that's why I said 3/4 pound.  1/2 would be fine also.  The lighter the beer, the more noticeable the addition is.

• Like 1

At mrbeer.com the recipe calls for Aztec Mexican Cerveza extract, and..... - the Standard Refill has 2 booster packs and the Deluxe has one Pale LME. You may know all that by now. It sounds like you're going to get standard (dry) light beer.

ON EDIT: Since the deed is already done, at least float a couple 'penos or dried chile arbol in there.

That’s pretty much what I figured, and that would be fine with me. My concern is the temperature, and that I will get a nasty cider flavor. I’m contemplating just tossing it and starting again. I’ve got the Czech Pilsner and Pale DME ready to go.

The good news is, I just picked up a used Frigidaire for $50 that’ll hold two LBKs, and I ordered the temp controller on Amazon just now.

RickBeer seems to really know his stuff, so I’ll be following his advice regarding temps and brew times.  I’m still curious about the yeast.  If I use Mr. Beer yeast or US-05 at 65 degrees, will it taste the same either way?

Also, does anybody know what hose size (OD) fits in the spigot of the LBK for transferring to my mini-kegs?

1 hour ago, Lukon said:

That’s pretty much what I figured, and that would be fine with me. My concern is the temperature, and that I will get a nasty cider flavor. I’m contemplating just tossing it and starting again. I’ve got the Czech Pilsner and Pale DME ready to go.

The good news is, I just picked up a used Frigidaire for $50 that’ll hold two LBKs, and I ordered the temp controller on Amazon just now.

RickBeer seems to really know his stuff, so I’ll be following his advice regarding temps and brew times.  I’m still curious about the yeast.  If I use Mr. Beer yeast or US-05 at 65 degrees, will it taste the same either way?

Also, does anybody know what hose size (OD) fits in the spigot of the LBK for transferring to my mini-kegs?

Rickbeer is the answer man. Usually, for home brewers time cures most ills. The MrBeer yeast is Cooper's ale yeast. It is one of the most temperature ambivalent yeasts available. Bottle the CAL and let em sit.

12 hours ago, Lukon said:

Thanks.  Take a look at the links in my signature if you haven't already.

That's a question fraught with danger, because there are at least 4 Mr. Beer LBK spigots in existence.

The "oldest" Mr. Beer LBKs used a hose that slipped OVER the spigot, and that hose then slipped over the bottling wand.  Mr. Beer ships their bottling wands with a small piece of hose for that purpose.

The next version of the spigot the bottling wand went up into the spigot, so no hose was needed.

I have no idea what the newest version of the spigot uses.  

You've got 3 options:

1) When you next empty the LBK, remove the spigot (which should be removed and disassembled, then cleaned, each batch anyway), and take it to the store and see what fits best.

2) Call Mr. Beer Customer Service M - F.

3) See if you can identify which spigot you have and have another customer tell you what they use.

I have the spigots which are white, swivel side to side, and the hose goes over the spigot.  That hose is 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD.

Thanks. I just got the kit. It’s the black spigot. I’m pretty sure the hose goes into it, not over it. Any customers who can tell me the hose I need would be greatly appreciated 😊

I have one of these (just remembered).  The 1/2" OD hose is too big to fit inside it.  And too small to fit on the outside.  A standard bottling wand fits inside it, which is 5/16" OD.  Therefore, a hose that is 5/16" OD should work.  

• Like 1

Thanks so much. That is exactly the information I needed.

Update:

The beer was in mini-kegs for four weeks so I cracked a keg yesterday which I had put in the fridge 3 days before. The color and clarity were perfect, and it same out with a nice head. The head doesn’t last long, and there is a little apple twang - not bad though. Beer is definitely drinkable, my buddy likes it ALOT.  It is stronger than expected ABV wise, and surprisingly doesn’t give a hangover. I’m guessing the no hangover effect and poor head retention are due to a lack of nonfermentable sugars.  I just pour smaller helpings more frequently to keep it from going flat. Second keg sat an extra week; we’ll see if it tastes better.

8 hours ago, Lukon said:

Update:

The beer was in mini-kegs for four weeks so I cracked a keg yesterday which I had put in the fridge 3 days before. The color and clarity were perfect, and it same out with a nice head. The head doesn’t last long, and there is a little apple twang - not bad though. Beer is definitely drinkable, my buddy likes it ALOT.  It is stronger than expected ABV wise, and surprisingly doesn’t give a hangover. I’m guessing the no hangover effect and poor head retention are due to a lack of nonfermentable sugars.  I just pour smaller helpings more frequently to keep it from going flat. Second keg sat an extra week; we’ll see if it tastes better.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, can you elaborate?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lukon said:

Update:

The yeast provide the B vitamins which your body normally flushes out when it processes alcohol. No B vitamin deficiency, less chance of s hangover.