Mr.Beer Community

nice, but I'm not a "social" person.  I don't have a facebook account

• Haha 1

Due to security concerns,  I don't do Facebook.  😞

On 4/19/2019 at 5:54 PM, MRB-Zach said:

Hey everyone,

Mr. Beer has a Facebook Group that we welcome you to join, https://www.facebook.com/groups/310797832948169/

It is nice to have that group but there are a lot of questions that are asked there that have been answered 100s of times here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

It is nice to have that group but there are a lot of questions that are asked there that have been answered 100s of times here.

I've noticed that too.  I almost wanted to start answering people by posting links to the relevant topic on this forum.  But if I did that I'd start getting waaaay to many notifications in FB.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cato said:

Have to check it out. Where is MRB Tim? Where is MRB Renae? 

Both have apparently left Mr. Beer.

I'm never going to join a Mr. Beer FB group.  I barely use FB, mostly for my HOA association and a few relatives.  I rarely post to it, more see what relatives post.  FB is not anonymous, this forum is.  

• Like 2

Well, Ashley looks to be a bit of a babe. So...uhm.... there's that....

But about the facebook page, I quote for you my Uncle Shamus O'Horgan (and indeed he often did!):

("Aye, always find a good word for those who try, laddie, but never a trophy unless they win!")

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Facebook Group is to help new users connect and share their brewing experiences. We want the group to be an inviting place where questions get answered. We do not want to link out and take people away from the group to go find the answers. If you are going to post links that just go back to the community page that is not what the group is for. Everyone is welcomed to join the group but it is serving a different purpose than the community.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shrike said:

I've noticed that too.  I almost wanted to start answering people by posting links to the relevant topic on this forum.  But if I did that I'd start getting waaaay to many notifications in FB.

I've started answering questions and trying to link to this forum. I've suggested new brewers should check out this forum and participate. All in all, I have the feeling this forum is being phased out. We've all noticed the lack of participation by Mr. Beer. 

13 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Well, Ashley looks to be a bit of a babe. So...uhm.... there's that....

But about the facebook page,

I'll second that about Ashley and the FB page. Have you noticed the MrBeer staff all seems to be new brewers? If I was just starting out I'd have reservations taking advice from somebody who has only brewed a few batches of their own. It's like a 16 year old who's had his/her driver's license for a few months leading the drivers' training classes. 

• Like 3

" The Facebook Group is to help new users connect and share their brewing experiences. We want the group to be an inviting place where questions get answered. "

i thought that was the purpose of these forums. this is a place that meets all those criteria. facebook is vile. i dont understand the need for some ppl to expose every aspect of their personal life on social media. oh look everyone.. i just passed a log! here's a photo! (stoolenvy has liked your post). yay! my post was liked! look everyone! i'm so excited that im going to hawaii next week! (photo of self with tickets taken in front of wall of expensive stereo equipment) .. hope i dont get robbed while im gone lol!... 

everyone here is relatively polite , patient and helpful with newbies. this place is like a haven of calm and help for the new brewer. i'm starting to wonder why the old guard at mr beer have been jumping ship there. hopefully you guys dont go nutso like you did with the radical and uncalled for forum changes that caused many of us to leave years ago.

• Like 2

I joined the FB page for about 15-20 minutes before leaving. My takeaway, is that the main focus and discussions are to be about MBR extract brewing. Lol, maybe I should rejoin since I'm sitting on 8 cans of HME that I'm going to have to start brewing before long!

I have no issues with that focus on MRB extract at all, as that's their core product, and how we all took our first steps.

Whether or not you use or like FB, social media is huge and MRB should have already had a presence on it . I would hazard a guess that management needed to clean house and brought in fresh young faces to increase marketing appeal. Business wise it's a smart move.

Does our MRB Community page still have a place in all this? Yeah, I think so, because despite the convenience of extract kit brewing there is that progression that MRB promotes to partial mash and so for those that get drawn in to grain usage are going to end up here for help.

Just my thoughts and sorry for being long winded but the coffee is a bit strong this a.m.

• Like 1

The reality is that this forum has very little activity.  Haven't counted, but if there's 20 people posting I'd be surprised.  Facebook is more commonly used than forums like this, but it's not the place for support IMO, but I don't run Mr. Beer.

Homebrewing stores are closing.  Beer business isn't what it was.  Mr. Beer has to be hurting compared to a few years ago.  Just my guess.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

The reality is that this forum has very little activity.  Haven't counted, but if there's 20 people posting I'd be surprised.  Facebook is more commonly used than forums like this, but it's not the place for support IMO, but I don't run Mr. Beer.

Homebrewing stores are closing.  Beer business isn't what it was.  Mr. Beer has to be hurting compared to a few years ago.  Just my guess.

i actually agree with @RickBeer on this one regarding FB vs. this forum. except, my LHBS just expanded, and "appears" to be thriving. they are excellent and work with a lot of pro-brewers as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cato said:

Does our MRB Community page still have a place in all this? Yeah, I think so, because despite the convenience of extract kit brewing there is that progression that MRB promotes to partial mash and so for those that get drawn in to grain usage are going to end up here for help.

Two things I read on that page this morning. "Kenny great question. Fermentation temperature is very important. The good thing about using our yeast from Coopers is that its range is AMAZING! It ferments anywhere from 68 to 78 degrees. A Stick on thermometer is great to use and lets you know you are in the right range." And, "it can go lower to 65 but all that is going to do is slow down your fermentation. 68 to 78 is the proper range and 70-72 is the ideal fermentation temperature."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I have alluded to this before - the instructions that come with the Kits and refills need work. All of you have read a competitors instructions (BB are their initials) and I find them leagues ahead of MRB instructions. OK, I'm a new brewer and still asking questions like "What is beer?" and "Why is there air©", and others, but life is simple - You write the basic instructions, but you also provide additional relevant data, such as fermentation temperatures for lagers and ales, benefits of conditioning time, cold crashing(?), etc. What will it cost? An extra page of instructions per refill or Kit? Educate the customer or they will go elsewhere for the education and....for the product.

This forum, to me, is more personal and doesn't carry the risks of facebook. But even with the benefits of a Mr Beer facebook page, it's still no excuse for lackluster instructions.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 8:44 AM, Jdub said:

i actually agree with @RickBeer on this one regarding FB vs. this forum. except, my LHBS just expanded, and "appears" to be thriving. they are excellent and work with a lot of pro-brewers as well. 

My LHBS also seems to be thriving  and works with an active home brewers club and local breweries.

6 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

My LHBS also seems to be thriving  and works with an active home brewers club and local breweries.

that is great to hear. i like supporting local small businesses. not always possible, but do it when i can.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jdub said:

that is great to hear. i like supporting local small businesses. not always possible, but do it when i can.

Same here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jdub said:

Generally, I buy the HMS and booster from Mr Beer,  the DME and bags, Milled grains for PM  and yeast from the LHBS.

• Like 4

my lhbs closed a couple years ago. dude retired after 20 plus years of business. now i can drive to pensacola or gainsville or jax to shop.... and spend as much as a 5 gallon kits on gas money..

or buy from inbev owned companies like NB...

or stop brewing. doesnt matter. havent brewed in over 4 months since getting evicted by ahol3 landlord's wife due to divorce. went from living in purgatory to living in hell . my new home is in a place that makes hooterville from green acres look like manhattan. shoot me. shoot me now.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

the town i am living in now in short:

all the roads are 55 mph except the main drag which is 45.  we have a tractor supply store. . . a feed store.. .and ppl ship live chicks through the post office which is about as large as a mister beer lbk.. well, not really but you get the idea.

we have 2 grocers. walmart.. and one that has prices that are ridiculous.

to get a couple bars on my cell i literally would have to climb a telephone pole. the best i can manage is one bar.

we have about 1000 churches and nearly as many bars. exagerating.. but not really.

the city refuses to pick up yard waste. you have to bring it to the local 'landfill' yourself ... and pay.

i went from a population nearly 400k town to a population of about 4k unless you count cows and the stray dogs held at the animal shelter. we have spiders the size of small children and mosquitos as big as birds...   so picture Hooterville or Bugtussle and this is my new 'hell' for the next year. wonder if i can brew with horse feed?

oh and the local sherriff website reports that we have 59 registered sex offenders within a 5 mile radius of my house. lol..  welcome to florida.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@zorak1066, do you at least have the benefits of Hooterville? Those hot young ladies at Petticoat Junction lived just down the tracks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nah...  its hillwilliams with money and boats, and pickup trucks with american flags in the back and gunracks...  no pixley to our hooterville.

• Sad 1

Thank you for all your comments on here. To address a few:

1) Security concerns on Facebook are real so don't join if you are concerned at all. It OK.

2) Facebook is a totally different group than the forum here. There is no need to join if you prefer to be here.

3) Every business goes through staffing changes and we have had many people throughout the years. Our former brewmasters include Eric Green who started one of the best craft breweries in Arizona, Dragoon Brewery, Gene Sandoval started Blackrock Brewing, Pat Butler joined Dragoon Brewing, Sam Diggens joined Sentinel Brewing, and most recently we had Josh move up to Pinetop Brewing Co. Then we have others like Tim, Tyson and Renae that were here for a time and then were able to continue to grow themselves (millennials change jobs 4 times between 21 and 32 according to LinkedIn study). We continue to bring in new people with or without experience. Right now we have two current agents with over 25 years experience in brewing not counting the additional 65 years of experience with the other people in the office.

4) It may appear that Mr. Beer participation is lagging in the forum, but instead the amount of searches that go on just show that people are finding the answers that they need. Similar to what many of you have said, they dont go that next step and further participate. With almost a half a million posts, they will find their answer. We have had to adjust our way of communicating and now had more people participating in our support chat on our website more than anything else. This too could possibly take away from participation here.

5) The homebrewing business has changed drastically over the past decade. Interest grew dramatically up to 2012 then slowed, then in 2015 reverse and many people lost interest. The craft beer craze that we all enjoy has some to blame as we all can go to one of many close by craft breweries and enjoy what we once could only brew. 

6) With more people working, there is less time to brew. There is almost a perfect correlation to the unemployment rate to the interest in "how to brew" google searches. Most businesses go through this cycle and it will come back around with more interest developing again in short order. When that does happen we will have this forum, Facebook, our site and continue to look at all options where people want to be contacted.

This forum is not going anywhere soon. We will continue to upgrade and maintain. We will continue to engage when needed and point new brewers here to get their answers. Please continue to be the warm and engaging group that you all are.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@MRB-Rick Thank you for your post. 

Knowing that our concerns are relevant to Mr. Beer and that you have addressed them is good for us all.  Also the update to our perceived lack of participation in this forum is wonderful.  Knowing that the questions that we have spent a lot of time answering are still providing help is awesome.  Even though I no longer brew with Mr. Beer products, I use this forum to help those who like me are starting out their journey with Mr. Beer.  I hope that somehow my answers and the answers of others here have kept some brewers in the hobby that would have left otherwise. 

Your post alone will make me continue to check this forum every day as I have always done.

Prost,

Dawg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1