Mr.Beer Community
StretchNM

Bottling with Wand and Siphon?

Can you bottle from a carboy that has no spigot, by using a siphon or auto-siphon with a bottling wand attached to the end of it? The reason I ask is because I have these 2 very nice, plastic carboys that I don't want to drill for spigots. I know I could use them as second fermenters, then when ready siphon into a LBK or other bucket with spigot, but just wondering if I could skip a step.

See I was thinking that the siphon tube might lose it's draw through the repeated opening and closing of the wand valve, causing me to have to restart the siphon several times while bottling.

Thank you

Can it be done? Sure. I've done it a couple times. It's not the best solution, but I did it in a pinch. You'll need to make sure that the bottling wand spring is depressed when you start the siphoning action. It might be easier with a second set of hands to do that. Then just make sure that you keep the bottling wand lower than the carboy. You'll want to make sure that you have pretty tight connections. If you start to get air in the line between bottle fills you will lose the siphon.

• Like 1

i would siphon into a LBK and then bottle from there, being careful not to create too much splashing to limit the oxygen exposure, like was mentioned above.

• Like 1

OK. Just wondering. I certainly can see how it would "work", like efdbrian said, but it sounds like a lot of trouble at high risk, as RickBeer says. I'll do it like Jdub says. I have confidence in that method, at least, since I did it with my all-grain batch. I was just thinking maybe I could "cheat" a little.

Thank you

SInce you mentioned "cheating", let me reinforce that one of the key qualities of a successful homebrewer is PATIENCE.  Making beer takes time.  Cutting corners rarely saves time, especially without increasing risk of crappy product.  Sure, you can turn a 5 hour brew day into a 4:48 minute brew day, but you're not going to make it a 3 hour brew day.  

The more you move fermented beer around, the higher the risk that you screw it up.

• Like 2