Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Czech Pilsner Hop Addition?

I'm planning on brewing the standard Mr. Beer Czech Pilsner refill tomorrow and I have three hops on hand: Cluster, Williamette and Galena.  Would any of these be worth adding?

Kevin

cluster and galena are  bitter. willamette might be an ok addition but ive always been partial to saaz. to add you can do a small lme boil with a qtr oz of willamette for maybe 10 minutes then add to the lbk. or just put them in a hop sack and dry hop.  dont boil mr beer hme. doing so drives off the hop oils they worked so hard to put in.

• Like 1

First of all I am stunned this question has been left hanging for 9 hours without a response. Secondly, what are you trying to do? Are you wanting to increase the bitterness? Add flavors or aromas? Have you already brewed the HME as is to know what your additions do to alter the final beer? 

If you google Cluster and Galena they're somewhat similar. Galena is considered to be a bittering hop while Cluster is more universal. Williamette is similar to Tettanager which would be closer than the others to the Czech Pilsner style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, D Kristof said:

First of all I am stunned this question has been left hanging for 9 hours without a response. <.............>

15 hours ago, D Kristof said:

First of all I am stunned this question has been left hanging for 9 hours without a response. Secondly, what are you trying to do? Are you wanting to increase the bitterness? Add flavors or aromas? Have you already brewed the HME as is to know what your additions do to alter the final beer? 

If you google Cluster and Galena they're somewhat similar. Galena is considered to be a bittering hop while Cluster is more universal. Williamette is similar to Tettanager which would be closer than the others to the Czech Pilsner style.

Thanks for your response.  I'm just trying to add flavor/aroma a little bit of the regular refill.  I brewed it once before and it didn't have much character to it.

Kevin

2 hours ago, Kevin Caffrey said:

Thanks for your response.  I'm just trying to add flavor/aroma a little bit of the regular refill.  I brewed it once before and it didn't have much character to it.

Kevin

Like mentioned earlier I'd definitely go with the Willamette.

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

Like mentioned earlier I'd definitely go with the Willamette.

Thanks again.  Tried it out tonight w/ 1 oz o Willamette at boil and 1/2 cup maltodextrin.  Just hoping for a more solid brew than the first time I tried it.

Kevin

• Like 3