Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

Apricot Amber Ale brew questions

First time I've tried this recipe.  Several questions/doubts have arisen.  I used a 3 gallon Fast Ferment and am thinking this recipe is not appropriate for that fermenter and am searching for others who have experience with this recipe.

1. The teaspoon of Cardamom seeds settle right into the collection jar.  Directions with this fermenter say to drain the jar after 5 days so now seeds are no longer in the wort.

2. Same with the cinnamon stick ( I returned the stick into the wort)

3. Should I now add more Cardamom seeds to the wort?   If yes how much?

4. Even though I added the S-33 yeast properly and temperature is maintained at prescribed 59 - 68,  no fermentation was evident in the air lock.  Perhaps not an issue as I have had this happen once before but I still find it troubling not to see anything happening after 5 days.

Should I have used the LBJ instead?

Your comments please.

@greyhound yes, i think you should have used a 2 gallon LB"K" for this recipe. i looked at the instructions and that is definitely what this recipe is for. what to do now? not sure. you've already brewed it. I would just assume that it's a watered down version of the original recipe. like someone said in a previous post, at least you can drink your mistakes. LOL

2 minutes ago, Jdub said:

@greyhound yes, i think you should have used a 2 gallon LB"K" for this recipe. i looked at the instructions and that is definitely what this recipe is for. what to do now? not sure. you've already brewed it. I would just assume that it's a watered down version of the original recipe. like someone said in a previous post, at least you can drink your mistakes. LOL

"LBJ" = little brown Jug; LOL  I knew better.  Would have been nice if MrBeer had recommended that instead of Fast Ferment.  Just have to wing it I guess.  Think I'll add some more Cardamon seeds tomorrow...

29 minutes ago, greyhound said:

"LBJ" = little brown Jug; LOL  I knew better.  Would have been nice if MrBeer had recommended that instead of Fast Ferment.  Just have to wing it I guess.  Think I'll add some more Cardamon seeds tomorrow...

i would roll with it and see what you got. worst case scenario, you made beer! i don't have any experience with the fast ferment 3 gal, but I brew all grain 3 gallon batches regularly with a different fermenter.

edit: now that i look at the fast fermenter, it says it's a 3 gal fermenter made for 2 gallon batches, so you should be fine. just see how it turns out.

s33 from what ive read is a potentially lazy yeast that likes to drop out . if you dont mind esters you can keep it at the upper end of the recommend temperature range, and try to wake it up with a little jarring of the fermenter. (no sloshing). ive never used a fast fermenter.. 

as noted no airlock activity is not a good indicator of fermentation activity. when i do buckets i get next to no activity sometimes because the gaskets leak co2. if you measured your original gravity you can draw another sample and check to see if the gravity has dropped any.

11 hours ago, greyhound said:

1. The teaspoon of Cardamom seeds settle right into the collection jar.  Directions with this fermenter say to drain the jar after 5 days so now seeds are no longer in the wort.

2. Same with the cinnamon stick ( I returned the stick into the wort)

3. Should I now add more Cardamom seeds to the wort?   If yes how much?

4. Even though I added the S-33 yeast properly and temperature is maintained at prescribed 59 - 68,  no fermentation was evident in the air lock.  Perhaps not an issue as I have had this happen once before but I still find it troubling not to see anything happening after 5 days.

1.  Who says you have to empty the collection jar after 5 days.  If you would have fermented in an LBK you wouldn't have gotten rid of the trub. 

2.  Same as #1

3.  I say just leave it

4.  S-33 can drop out.  Keep raising the temperature as fermentation progresses, this will help prevent this from happening.

• Like 1