Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rniles

Phat & Tyred Ale

rniles wrote:

Sheppy, which of your Phat & Tyred Ale was the best?

I'm expecting the version I'm going to brew in 2 to 4 weeks will be the best (batch #4).

Batch #3 is in the fermenter to be bottled tomorrow. I have not tasted that one yet.

Between one and two, the only difference that I noticed was that #2 was slightly lighter in color. They tasted so very close that I cannot really pick a favorite. #1 was a little better aged when I compared, but honestly they were too close to call.

Why do you ask?

So, just in case you are interested, here is the version I am brewing sometime in the near future. I did the recipe for my next version in BeerSmith which actually pointed out some changes I want to make. Plus I thought I'd add just a touch of chocolate malt to see what it did.

Phat & Tyred Ale

Style American Amber Ale Batch Size 2.40 gal
Type Partial Mash Boil Size 1.92 gal

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.059 SG Estimated FG 1.015 SG
Recipe Bitterness 31.4 IBU (Rager) Alcohol by Volume 5.73 %
BU : GU 0.537
Recipe Color 12.8 SRM Color

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 lb Briess Pilsen Light LME (2.0 SRM) Extract 56.31 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 11.26 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 11.26 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.63 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 45L (45.0 SRM) Grain 5.63 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.63 %
0.13 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
0.06 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.35 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (25 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Harvested) (Wyeast Labs #1272) [starter 125 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Mash Profile
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 2.43 qt of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F

Sparge by steeping in 1.65 gal water at 168.0 F

Recipe Notes
Harvested yeast from Phat & Tyred Ale http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=11
Ferment 1 week ~65F followed by 1 week ~72F
Batch prime with 2.25 oz table sugar boiled in 1 cup water.

esheppy wrote:

rniles wrote:

I'm expecting the version I'm going to brew in 2 to 4 weeks will be the best (batch #4).

Why do you ask?

Only because I was thinking about your extract/steep version and wanted to try it ...so I visited your site and saw three recipes. Wasn't sure which do try! :)

rniles wrote:

esheppy wrote:

rniles wrote:

Why do you ask?

Only because I was thinking about your extract/steep version and wanted to try it ...so I visited your site and saw three recipes. Wasn't sure which do try! :)

Well, I just bottled number 3. Going into the bottle I think this one is my favorite. Its sort of hard to remember back, but if I recall, that is the case anyway.

Of course, that doesn't really mean anything. Who cares what it tastes like going into the bottle? I was sort of disappointed with #2 going into the bottle and it turned out great. Hopefully the fact that I loved this one now doesn't mean I'll be disappointed later(i don't think that will be the case)

If you do end up brewing one let me know which one you try. If you want my suggestion, I would go with either #3 or #4 (which isn't on the site yet ... but is in this thread). Personally, I've already committed myself to brewing #4.

:chug:

esheppy wrote:

Mixing up #4 tomorrow. Have you tried one yet, rniles?

No I haven't yet ...did you try your number three yet? Last I left off you were bottling number 3.

I'm wanting to try your extract version. The AG version was very good but it would nice to try out an easier version so I'm going to steal yours. Currently I have a WCPA carbing and a ENBA fermenting.

Next batch with either be:

Experiment #3 Hefeweizen
A dunkelweizen
or your Phat & Tyred

They're all screaming, "Me, me ,me!!"

rniles wrote:

esheppy wrote:

Mixing up #4 tomorrow. Have you tried one yet, rniles?

No I haven't yet ...did you try your number three yet? Last I left off you were bottling number 3.

I'm wanting to try your extract version. The AG version was very good but it would nice to try out an easier version so I'm going to steal yours. Currently I have a WCPA carbing and a ENBA fermenting.

Next batch with either be:

Experiment #3 Hefeweizen
A dunkelweizen
or your Phat & Tyred

They're all screaming, "Me, me ,me!!"

Yes, I have the same issue of beers that want to be brewed.

I just saw the DunkleWeizen recipes in the latest BYO magazine, and one of those will now want to be in my pipeline. Last month, the imperial stout from BYO grabbed my attention (that will be my next brew after the one I mix up tomorrow.... I think).

#3 just finished its carbonation phase, so I have not tried it yet. I put a bunch of that one in a 5 liter party-keg and will probably finish that off on Christmas eve... depending on who else wants to help me drink. I'll probably try a bottle right around the 23rd, but probably not before then.

esheppy wrote:

Yes, I have the same issue of beers that want to be brewed.

I just saw the DunkleWeizen recipes in the latest BYO magazine, and one of those will now want to be in my pipeline. Last month, the imperial stout from BYO grabbed my attention (that will be my next brew after the one I mix up tomorrow.... I think).

#3 just finished its carbonation phase, so I have not tried it yet. I put a bunch of that one in a 5 liter party-keg and will probably finish that off on Christmas eve... depending on who else wants to help me drink. I'll probably try a bottle right around the 23rd, but probably not before then.

Yup - I need more fermenters. I bought another for batch priming (my first batch prime was with the ENBA) but I need a bigger house with my own brewing room before I further expand my hardware.

I saw that article for the Dunkelweizen in BYO and it looked good but I think I'm going to try "Brewing Classic Styles" version first. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissen Dunkel is my absolute favourite. That's one I would like to clone ... but baby steps.

So, rniles, I do not know if you are still interested, but I tried batch #4. Its biggest difference was just a bit of chocolate malt. Made for a darker beer and brought it away from Fat Tire's taste (batch #3 was extremely close), but I think I might prefer where this is going. Next batch, instead of chocolate malt, I'm going to try pale chocolate.

http://beer.ericshepard.com/phat.htm

Oh, I'm still watching this one ...it was hard to tell from your post ..which one did you *like* better? I'm in the middle of a move, so my brewing has halted a bit (suffer) BUT I have a good supply of beer from Hefe to Pale ales to winter beers of mine to work on during the move.

I think I'm going to brew your number 3 or number 4 ...don't think I can wait to see what you number 5 is going to be like - too impatient!

I got a "that is a fantastic" beer on one of the last of my batch #4 bottles today. He told me that it was "much better than Fat Tire". Actually, this is not the first of my tasters who have given me that comment.

I have high expectations for my batch #5 as well. Pretty much the same as #4 except it uses Pale Chocolate instead of Chocolate Malt.

Well I'm interested in hearing which one you think is best. #4 sounds like it is it though or close enough.

rniles wrote:

Well I'm interested in hearing which one you think is best. #4 sounds like it is it though or close enough.

Well... I had a couple of my batch #5 and think it is my best. This is the recipe that I'm going to call "official".... http://beer.ericshepard.com/recipes/phat.aspx .

RNiles,

Your signature still has this in the "on deck" section, so I assume that you have not brewed it yet.... or have you just not updated the signature in awhile?

esheppy wrote:

RNiles,

Your signature still has this in the "on deck" section, so I assume that you have not brewed it yet.... or have you just not updated the signature in awhile?

It's up to date - I haven't brewed it yet and it's still on deck! Just a few things getting in my way of getting it done - things are settling down a bit and I have a huge hankering for a Fat Tire clone

Since your number 5 is official, I will try that. I got to get rid of some wheat LME in the fridge first (trying a hefe with some tettnanger hops I must use before they go bad).

Where did you get your Pale Chocolate (200srm)? I don't see any data on that in Beersmith. Last time I did Drock's clone, I use a Chocolate (350srm)

I now have it scheduled for July 3rd ... just need to find that Pale Chocolate or I'll just use less of my 350 SRM chocolate.

Well... 2 out of the 3 LHBS's that I go to have it. I do not remember adding it to Beer Smith, although I guess it is possible that I just duplicated chocolate malt and changed the SRM.

Pale chocolate does have a little more of a biscuity flavor rather than a coffee-like flavor, so using a bit less of chocolate is not quite the same. The only difference between batch 4 and batch 5 is that 4 used chocolate malt and 5 used pale chocolate, and I think I noticed a difference between the two.

That being said, though, that substitution is reasonable and the difference at those amounts is probably something you would notice (I think) only if you were really looking for it. I certainly would not go out-of-my way to make sure I had the Pale.

Midwest supplies had everything I needed. ...and got some extra stuff for subsequent batches.

Ok Sheppy, I have all the ingredients ...only thing is that I'm replacing your LME with grains. Can't get good LME around here.

rniles wrote:

Ok Sheppy, I have all the ingredients ...only thing is that I'm replacing your LME with grains. Can't get good LME around here.

What kind of grains are you using? I assume some more 2-row ... anything else?

Recipe: Sheppy's Phat & Tyred (AG)
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.40 gal
Boil Size: 3.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 12.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.20 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.40 %
0.50 lb Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.14 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.14 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.25 lb Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.07 %
0.13 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.12 %
0.06 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM) Grain 0.98 %
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.6 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (25 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.14 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.68 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Sparge Volume/Temperature: 2.35 gal @ 168.0 F
Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 0.58 gal of 168.0 F water
Batch Sparge Round 2: Sparge with 1.77 gal of 168.0 F water

Ok ... if I ever go all grain, I know what recipe to start with.

:)

Good luck. I hope you like it. Let me know how it turns out.

I think it turned out quite well ...I haven't had a Fat Tire for a while but this definitely has all those flavours that make a Fat Tire great!! Nice recipe!!

I've put this one in my newly purchased Party Pig. My first attempt at something kinda like a keg. - so far so good.

You definitely have a good recipe. ...the only experiment I can think of is to use a Pilsner malt next time instead of the basic 2-row ...it would be an experiment as I'm not sure it would make much a difference.

I'm glad you like it. I do not think a real beer expert would call this a clone when he/she tasted it side-by-side with Fat Tire. I personally like mine a little better. Others have told me they do too. (I'm obviously a little prejudiced and the others certainly could have been blowing smoke). I don't think it matters if it is a perfect match, because I certainly like to drink it.

I don't know if Pilsner Malt would make much of a flavor difference on this beer or not. I've only done one all-grain so far, and I have not really gotten the process nailed down yet, but this certainly will be one that I'll try to all-grain in one of my next 3 or 4 batches. I might do that experiment.

My pipeline is pretty full right now, so I might have to slow down production awhile to get more bottles and storage space. I have a couple of beers I want to make before this one again. So, it might be awhile before I try the All-grain version. It is coming, though.

Thanks for trying it and giving me the input. I do appreciate it.

I was so happy with my RebelBrewer based Fat Tire clone, that I am pretty anxious to give the esheppy version a go. Glad to hear that this worked out for you, rniles...

esheppy wrote:

My pipeline is pretty full right now, so I might have to slow down production awhile to get more bottles and storage space. I have a couple of beers I want to make before this one again. So, it might be awhile before I try the All-grain version. It is coming, though.

Thanks for trying it and giving me the input. I do appreciate it.

My pipeline is a bit full too. Since the move, I've lost my beer drinking Guinea pig. Not a real rodent, just a relative that would happily try (and drink half) of my brews. ...so now I'm a little backed up ...need to drink more I s'pose (since beer is healthy).

No problem on the input ...I'm still experimenting, finding those recipes that I like best, those that will be my "regulars" ...this is definitely one of those.

swenocha wrote:

I was so happy with my RebelBrewer based Fat Tire clone, that I am pretty anxious to give the esheppy version a go. Glad to hear that this worked out for you, rniles...

I haven't tried any of Rebels' recipes ...but they are a (mail order) source I go to when I can't find things elsewhere ...like Pacifica hops.

I think you'll like it ...and I think it is very close but better than New Belgium's.