Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarkMasus

So What Now?

I finished sealing up the keg for the first time last night...I was wondering if it should look cloudy and flat? I was expecting the yeast to do more....

It is the WCPA if anyone is wondering...

thank you very much.

MarkMasus wrote:

I finished sealing up the keg for the first time last night...I was wondering if it should look cloudy and flat? I was expecting the yeast to do more....

It is the WCPA if anyone is wondering...

thank you very much.

Welcome MarkMasus,

If it smells yeasty near the lid.

If there is sediment on the bottom of the fermenter.

If it looks like tea with cream in it when you shine a flashlight Briefly through it.

Then congratulations you are making beer.

Keep us posted.

You may see a layer of foam develop on top, although if you're using a standard kit with no additions, you might not get much of that. With the Mr Beer yeast, that can take 12-24 hours to develop.

You'll probably see some sediment start to form in the bottom of the keg and you may see some bubbles in the fermenter if you shine a flashlight through it. At first, it will be pretty cloudy, so a flashlight might not penetrate very much, but as time goes on, the brew will start to clear up a bit.

I know the directions say to ferment for 1 week, then carbonate for 1 week, but you'll be happier with your results if you give each of those steps 2 weeks.

just went and checked.

It smells like bread/yeast if I get real close to the lid and sniff.

There is alot of sediment on the bottom and it looks hazy throughout with a little THIN layer of foam in places on top.

theres also condensation on the inside top of the fermenter.

i cant wait. 20 days from now is my estimated bottling date.

MarkMasus wrote:

just went and checked.

It smells like bread/yeast if I get real close to the lid and sniff.

There is alot of sediment on the bottom and it looks hazy throughout with a little THIN layer of foam in places on top.

theres also condensation on the inside top of the fermenter.

i cant wait. 20 days from now is my estimated bottling date.

Markmasus,
You might try to pick up a stick on thermometer from Mr B or wallyworld's aquarium dept. It only cost a couple of bucks and will let you know the keg temp which can be 8-10 degrees higher than ambient while the yeasties are frantically doing the wild thing.

Please post your results and any ?'s.

will do. Ill report back soon. thanks for the help. This is one of the friendliest forums ive been on.

Patients is the key element to good /great beer .The stick on thermometer is a wonderful addition to your arsenal of must have equipment.I loved my "free" thermometer I got with my membership in the Brew Club ( BTW-Have you joined ?) WCPA does not really have much "activity" and trust me you will have beer. Please keep posting on your progress.

well the thermo says its between 68 and 72.

im a very patient guy... but I like beer. haha.

it was sealed last night so im aiming for a Jan 18th bottling date.

I havent joing the brew club.... is it free? Im pretty tight this time of year so itll be a luxury if its costly....

MarkMasus wrote:

well the thermo says its between 68 and 72.

im a very patient guy... but I like beer. haha.

it was sealed last night so im aiming for a Jan 18th bottling date.

I havent joing the brew club.... is it free? Im pretty tight this time of year so itll be a luxury if its costly....

It's free to join and if your order is at least $30 (maybe $29.95 or something) the shipping is only $5. You can set it up to ship the same order on a regular basis, and after the second order, you get a bunch of free stuff. You can suspend orders at any time and can also change what you order and/or the order date.

In regards to the Brew Club, is it really worth it or do you come out better ordering stuff from Amazon? They have OK prices (3 for 4 deals)and free shipping but the selection is somewhat limited. Any thoughts from those with more experience? Thanks in advance.

I do brew club and it's great, I can't offer a comparison to amazon, as I have never used that.

If your recipe was only WCPA + Booster, you really only need to wait 2 weeks before bottling.

Any visible activity means lots of invisible activity.

Read these forums while you wait, the info here is invaluable. And yes, waiting is the hardest part.

drbeer wrote:

In regards to the Brew Club, is it really worth it or do you come out better ordering stuff from Amazon? They have OK prices (3 for 4 deals)and free shipping but the selection is somewhat limited. Any thoughts from those with more experience? Thanks in advance.

If all you want to use are the standard refills, you can get refills pretty inexpensively from Amazon. For example, you can get a 3 pack variety pack for $25.38 right now. It qualifies for the 4 for 3 promotion, so you can get 4 of them for the price of 3. And it then qualifies for free shipping. So the total ends up at $6.345 per refill.

One downside is that you're limited in what you get and can only get the refills, no extra UME, no hops, etc. I can get LME in bulk from my LHBS, so I get the refills from Amazon and add LME and hops from the LHBS.

Another downside is that the booster is sometimes a brick. It still dissolves, but it takes longer. I haven't had any that were expired, but I think some had been sitting around for a while.

I guess it boils down to how much and what options you want. I've been a member for years now and love it.

I used just the WCPA and booster. Im waiting 2 weeks and bottling. Ive been reading to use corn syrup instead of white sugar for bottling? what is the best way?

I also found another premium kit at BB&B for 10 bucks on clearance! Starting keg 2 tonight.

MarkMasus wrote:

I used just the WCPA and booster. Im waiting 2 weeks and bottling. Ive been reading to use corn syrup instead of white sugar for bottling? what is the best way?

I also found another premium kit at BB&B for 10 bucks on clearance! Starting keg 2 tonight.

I've always used white sugar, but others have used corn sugar or honey to prime. I would recommend starting with white sugar and if you want to change later, use something different, but you also need to be aware that you'll need to adjust the quantity if you use something other than white sugar.

+1 on the Brew Club. When Mr. Beer has sales you can also get stuff on sale for your brew club order. You can pause it anytime and resume it whenever you want.

So you don't have to get shipments every three months from the brew club like the website makes it sound?

Also, I agree with regular sugar, especially for the first brew. It is very easy. I let my batch carb for a week and a half before tasting, and it wasn't sweet or cidery at all.

drbeer wrote:

So you don't have to get shipments every three months from the brew club like the website makes it sound?

Nope, I got a ton of MB ingredients from a friend and have had my brew club paused for at least 6 months.

8 days in the keg and its still a bit cloudy, tastes cidery. let is sit for another week?

im confused.

Let it sit another 6 days. Get a hydrometer for your next batch to get rid of the guess work. :gulp:

made a mistake. tomorrow (friday) marks 2 weeks in the fermenter.

I have been collecting red stripe stubby bottles at work to bottle with. Removed the labels in hot water and Ajax brand "super degreaser" hand soap. came off in 10 minutes with a green scrubbie.

I plan on rinsing them again tomorrow morning very well and then go into the oven for the specified times.

While they cool I will make the trek to my LHBS to purchase a Capper and re-buy a long spring-spout to eliminate aeration ( I bought the wrong diameter)

Then home for bottling and 14 days of waiting.

however... this means I can brew another tomorrow! I plan on picking up some hops and DME for my HCCD ( 2 cans) I plan on double-canning it up and adding hops and amber DME. I want something above 6% this time.

thanks for all the help. Ill post pics tomorrow.

24 bottles capped today. the last few were a bit cloudy from the yeast poop getting in there, but hey its a good vitamin...right? :lol:

Im about ready to fill this baby with a double-up wheat beer. om nom nom

The cloudiness settles to the bottom of the bottles in a few days, supposedly loaded with B Vitamins.

and when you get around to drinking that, just pour the beer into the glass slowly and leave that trube in the bottle. At least I do. Some like to drink it. More power to them. :blink: