Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Butter

Summer Shandy Clone

I am looking to see if anyone has a Leine's Summer Shandy clone recipe. Also I would like to do green beer for St. Pat's I was wondering what would be a good brew to use and when should I add the food coloring. In the keg or when I bottle? Thanks!

Well, I don't have a summer shandy clone (personally, I'd just brew a wheat beer and mix it with sprite in the glass... it'll save some headaches), but I can help you out with the green beer thing.

The short answer is: it doesn't much matter. You can add it to the keg if you like, but I would probably add during bottling time if it were me. Take a 4 oz sample before you bottle, taste it (2 oz) to make sure it is ready, then add green food coloring, 1 drop at a time until your sample is the color you want it. Scale up the number of drops required to change that 2 oz sample to whatever bottle size you're using. Voila!

Hope this helps!

:chug:

Leinies summer shandy is a great beer. Their variant uses lemonade. I dont really know how you would clone that. I guess you could do as Eric says and just mix lemonade with a wheat beer. I also wonder if you could use something like country time powder in the wort but Im not really sure how that would work.