Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
darkangel9685

Is it ready?

I came home from work to see if my 1st batch was ready.

It's still cloudy, by tastes like flat beer, though it does smell a bit "off"

Should I bottle, or wait another 2-3 days?

I brewed West Coast Pale Ale if that helps. Nothing special about it.

Darkangel,

What do you mean by "...it does smell a bit 'off?'" Can you describe it? How long have you been fermenting it? Where are you storing it? What temp were you fermenting it at?

darkangel9685 wrote:

I came home from work to see if my 1st batch was ready.

It's still cloudy, by tastes like flat beer, though it does smell a bit "off"

Should I bottle, or wait another 2-3 days?

I brewed West Coast Pale Ale if that helps. Nothing special about it.

As long as the brew doesn't taste sweet you should be good to go. When did you brew this bad boy up?

The cloudiness is fine. Once you bottle it to carb and condition and then toss them in the fridge they'll clear up.

Mine had a lot of cloudiness as well so I left it for three more days and it cleared up considerably.

Kyle3309 wrote:

Mine had a lot of cloudiness as well so I left it for three more days and it cleared up considerably.

How many days total did you guys ferment?

i've been brewing for 7 days

the smell? Not that beer smell, much more pungent and pronounced. That's what i remember anyway, as i'm not home atm (posting from my cell)

also, i was gonna carb in 1 liter bottles, 2 bottles with maple syrup, 2 with brown sugar, and the rest with white granulated sugar, just to taste and understand what the different sugars do to the flavors. Is there anything special i should do with the sugars?

darkangel9685 wrote:

i've been brewing for 7 days

7 days is the bare minimum. Go at least 14 days. I am new to this as well.... mine (WCPA) is 10 days in and I am chomping at the bit. Over the next few days, you will see that the top 20% of the beer will start thinning out to clear

As far as playing with the priming sugar, I don't think you will notice much of a difference. All you will be doing in my layman's opinion is messing with the consistency of each bottle. Bottle priming has enough inconsistencies without adding multiple types of priming sugars. JMHO.

I've got the WCPA going right now too. Brewed it on New Years Eve which makes it 10 days now. I'm planning on bottling around the 14th day. This is also my 1st ever attempt at home brewing. Who else has brewed the WCPA and what sugar did you use for bottling? I've heard some people say table sugar isn't that bad to use and if not table sugar then what else will work? And I'm planning on bottling in those plastic 16 oz Miller Lite bottles so I'll just use the Mr. Beer priming sugar guidelines unless someone else has had success tinkering with the amounts. Any suggestions/comments would really help...btw I'm super psyched about this brew. Never thought my fiance would let me brew beer but since I got this kit for Christmas I might be treating the beer better than her!!! LOL.

Hey Capt. Grats on your brew! I suggest you tip the keg back a bit by placing something small in the front of it that will raise it up a bit, this way the trub all slowly goes to the back. When it comes time to bottle, regular old table sugar is just fine, and with the keg tilted back, it will reduce the amount of sediment that gets introduced to your bottles.

Don't worry too much if you get some in there though, it will clear up over time and is actually a good source of Vitamin B. Other than that, cheers and best of luck!!

IMHO I would let it sit in the keg a "minimum" of 14 days then you will be good to go as far as bottling .For the sugar all sounds good to me and no you do not need to do any "special" to it just measure the correct amount for 1 Liter bottles.Good luck B)

on this note, is there a "too long" to let a batch ferment? are there guidelines on how much longer than 14 days it should go, depending on the type/number of HME/UME and other adjuncts added?

i bottled my first batch (wpca) and re-filled keg1 with Black Tower Porter kit and keg2 with Brew Ha Ha bock. I added "some" molasses and brown sugar to the porter (about 1 Tbps each) just to say that I 'modified' it a bit.

The WPCA tasted as if it was ready to bottle at day 10-11, but i waited 14 - since the porter and bocks are much more robust, should they ferment for 21ish days or is 14 definitely enough? i know, patience, patience, but I just can't wait to get the rotation in play and start planning for summer/autumn beers!

If you ferment too long (generally over 21 days) the yeast might get burned out and won't be able to process the priming sugar into CO2 for carbing.

Kyle3309 wrote:

Noob question here too. My first batch was the Blonde Ale that came with the kit. I let ferment in the keg for 2 weeks. Then i bottled it and its been bottling for about a week. But its still cloudy. Is this ok too?

Thanks.

ledzepp817 wrote:

Kyle3309 wrote:

Noob question here too. My first batch was the Blonde Ale that came with the kit. I let ferment in the keg for 2 weeks. Then i bottled it and its been bottling for about a week. But its still cloudy. Is this ok too?

Thanks.

Yes, sometimes they don't clear till they are cold. I have had some that didn't clear well at all. They still tasted fine.

Keep us posted

This morning was bottling time!!!! I gave it 18 days in the keg. Added the recommended sugar and now I'll let it sit. How does everyone feel about the 2 week time in the bottle for the WCPA? Something tells me it might not take that long, but this is my first time so what do I know? And does anyone recommend extracting the trub and reusing it in another batch?

Captbeer,
It is for the best to follow mr Beer's instructions to the letter at first to establish you procedures. It is much easier to troubleshoot a simpler process, if needed.

Keep posting