Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
forny

honey

getting ready to start my 2nd batch (bewitching red ale) wanting to add some honey to boost alcohol content can anyone suggest how much without hurting the flavor so much, also should i add it to the wort first then the keg? i was thinking of a half cup of honey and three weeks fermenting time. this might seem a silly question to some of you but i am new to this so please humor me.

I stirred 2/3 cup of honey into the wort after adding the can of BWA. I also only used 3/4 of the pouch of booster so as not to have too little malt percent wise. Turned out awesome.

thanks i am going to try just that, ill let you know how it turns out, happy brewing all !!!!!!!!!!!

gophers6 wrote:

I stirred 2/3 cup of honey into the wort after adding the can of BWA. I also only used 3/4 of the pouch of booster so as not to have too little malt percent wise. Turned out awesome.

That's good to know, and I'll keep it in mind, since I'm interested in using honey, brown sugar, fruit, and other sugars to help flavor my wort and boost the alcohol content slightly.

I wonder, though, if you want to keep the malt percentage more balanced, if you might not want to use a UME in addition to the HME.

It's all a balancing trick, between the hops, the sugar, and the malt. Maybe some more experienced brewers could chime in with suggestions.

FedoraDave wrote:

gophers6 wrote:

That's good to know, and I'll keep it in mind, since I'm interested in using honey, brown sugar, fruit, and other sugars to help flavor my wort and boost the alcohol content slightly.

I wonder, though, if you want to keep the malt percentage more balanced, if you might not want to use a UME in addition to the HME.

It's all a balancing trick, between the hops, the sugar, and the malt. Maybe some more experienced brewers could chime in with suggestions.

Good brew rule use no more than 1/3 adjunct to 2/3 malt. I cheat and use a 24 ounce safeway pasteurized clover honey to two can HME (40) onces malt. No hassling sanitizing the measuring cup and close enough to the 1/3 rule it turns out great. :P Keep on brewing on.

Guest System Admin

forny wrote:

also should i add it to the wort first then the keg? i was thinking of a half cup of honey and three weeks fermenting time. this might seem a silly question to some of you but i am new to this so please humor me.

I missed "also should I add it to the wort first then the keg?"

It should be added to the wort. If added while still boiling it will lose some honey sweetness. Good for pale wheat. Dont boil it until a scum starts to form or the scum should be scraped off with a sanitized spoon and most honey flavor will be lost. Desirable in some beers.
I like honey ale so I use pasteurized honey and add as soon as I take it off the boil.
Boil or not to your flavor but definitely add it to the wort. If it is not pasteurized it should be boiled fifteen minutes to kill pollen and wild yeast. Keep on brewing on. ;)

I have used 2 cups of honey and forgo the booster all together and I also use honey to prime as well.Works great and if your bottle priming then do yourself a favor and purchase a syringe from your local drugstore ( an infant syringe is perfect) helps when it comes time to measure and then pour into your bottles. Brew Strong