Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

carbing tabs

HopHeadBrewski wrote:

Junk! Don't use them, they are unreliable.

:chug:

Hate to disagree with HHB but I love the Coopers carb tabs. I have never used the Muntons that everyone was having the problems with. The coopers were easy to use and produced a quick and even carbonation. As you can see by the picture below they work well. This pic is the Coopers IPA kit carbed with the Coopers drops.

BTW to answer you real question the only ingredient listed on the Coopers drops is Sugar(glucose). coopers-20100111.jpg

Yes, I should have clarified that I was referring to Muntons. Good to know the Coopers work, tabs are easy to use.

I've moved on to batch priming and that is by far the best way to go. By racking off into another vessel (I use a Mr Beer keg) that contains the priming sugar, I get 2 major benefits:

1) Leaves the trub in the fermenter so the bottled beer is clearer.
2) Can easily adjust the priming sugar to the style of beer I'm making.

:chug:

I generally batch prime as well but thought this might be a good time to try the tabs since I was using a coopers kit. I would have to say that I prefer them to batch priming for "kit" beers like the coopers. If I was doing a recipe with steeping grains and a long hop boil, that sort of thing, I would batch prime to get a specific level of carbonation for the style.