Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

Are My Tastebuds Shot?

The 2 batches I'm drinking now are:

1. Vienna Lager + Mellow Amber + Honey

2. Englishman's Nut Brown + Mellow Amber + Honey

I swear I can't tell the difference. Is it because the additives are the same or are my tastebuds shot?

Guest System Admin

gophers6 wrote:

The 2 batches I'm drinking now are:

1. Vienna Lager + Mellow Amber + Honey

2. Englishman's Nut Brown + Mellow Amber + Honey

I swear I can't tell the difference. Is it because the additives are the same or are my tastebuds shot?

Viena has a IBU ( bitternes of 23 ).
englishmen's nut brown ale has a IBU of 22.

;)
The reason I follow a recepie like the two above with out using booster or honey is so I will learn what it is supossed to taste like they realy are quite different.
Honey is sweet and will cover the diference of IBU from HME's that are this close in roast of malt and bitternes of hops. Try them again in the future with out honey and let each one age one month and you will be able to tell the difference. Or I could be wrong and your... :dry: naw I think it is the honey :whistle:

I agree.Try making both of them next time "exactly" as the recipe states and then see what they are really supposed to taste like.Also ,if you can try adding the creamy brow to the Englishman Nut Brown for a great drinking brew !!

Yeah but, the deluxe refills for VL and ENB both use Mellow Amber. All I changed was add honey.

Did you use the Mr. B yeast? With an attenuation of only 60%-70% that does leave quite a bit of honey in the mix.