Mr.Beer Community

This one's for you, @MiniYoda

I've never been to Kentucky but they tell me that this was a popular style back in the day.

Hop times are 45, 15 and 5 minutes.

This tasty all-grainer turned out great but I'll find out at Sunday's Lost Cabin Homebrew comp if it appealed to BJCP judges.  Entered in the historical category, they will probably group it with other Amber/Common-type beers for judging.  I'll follow up with a score then. 🍻

Dark Cream Ale

(2-gallon, Mash-in-Sack)

Rahr 6-row, 2.25 lb.

Flaked corn, 1 lb.

Briess Victory malt, 0.12 lb.

Briess Crystal 60, 0.12 lb.

Weyermann Carafa II (Special), 0.04 lb.

Mt. Hood, 0.25 oz.

Cluster, 0 25 oz.

Mt. Hood, 0 25 oz.

Safale K-97 German Ale yeast

Step mash grains 20 min. @ 132 F followed by 40 min. @ 152 F, adjusting pH to 5.3 with lactic acid (if necessary).

Mash out @ 168 F for 10 min.

Sprinkle sparge grain bag with hot tap water.

Begin 45 min. boil, hopping as indicated.

Chill wort to < 70 F.

Pitch K-97, areate, and ferment cool for 2 weeks.

Cold crash is optional.

OG 1.043

IBU 19

SRM 12-14

ABV 4.5 - 5%

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"I want a good girl, she want a gentleman, we saying the same thing like a synonym" - kayne west off of "This Way" by Dilated People.  Such a good song.  Back when Kayne was in his prime.  Sorry, that's what this made me think of. 

• Like 1

Who is Kanye?

and where is my old geezer cane?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

Toast, but I've not heard of a Dark Cream Ale being popular in the Bluegrass State.  What we are trying formulate is a Kentucky Common.

https://homebrewacademy.com/kentucky-common/

I think what @Creeps McLane was trying to convey is that my recipe is a Kentucky Common, which would be correct.  The BJCP describes the overall impression of this style as a darker version of cream ale.  As I've gotten a bit lazy with my recipe naming of late,  that description just kind of stuck.🍻:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I think what @Creeps McLane was trying to convey is that my recipe is a Kentucky Common, which would be correct.  The BJCP describes the overall impression of this style as a darker version of cream ale.  As I've gotten a bit lazy with my recipe naming of late,  that description just kind of stuck.🍻:)

👍 bonsai gets me. That’s a very rare thing

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

👍 bonsai gets me. That’s a very rare thing

Hey, I just spent the last 3 hours brewing beer while listening for a deeper meaning in Cheap Trick songs.  That has to count for something!🍻

• Like 1

If you were going to build this on a MR Beer HME - what would you suggest?

I was thinking American Light or Canadian Blonde would take more IBU additions for the character Cluster/Mt Hood Hop additions and the PM grains.

So maybe the American Light plus a pack of Smooth LME (Victory and Crystal sub.),  1 oz 6 row + 4 oz Flaked Corn + 1.5 oz Carafa -II  PM, then the hops. 0.5 oz  Cluster 15 min and 0.25 oz Mt Hood 5 min (and take them out? or not?) gets pretty close, ABV 4.83, IBUs 19.3, SRM 13.2.

But I am not sure how the flavor will be.

7 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

If you were going to build this on a MR Beer HME - what would you suggest?

I was thinking American Light or Canadian Blonde would take more IBU additions for the character Cluster/Mt Hood Hop additions and the PM grains.

So maybe the American Light plus a pack of Smooth LME (Victory and Crystal sub.),  1 oz 6 row + 4 oz Flaked Corn + 1.5 oz Carafa -II  PM, then the hops. 0.5 oz  Cluster 15 min and 0.25 oz Mt Hood 5 min (and take them out? or not?) gets pretty close, ABV 4.83, IBUs 19.3, SRM 13.2.

But I am not sure how the flavor will be.

I might start by partial-mashing the American Lager HME with 0.5 lb 6-row, 0.25 flaked corn, and the Victory/Crystal.  For bittering, I'll need Qbrew to estimate IBUs, but I need to check Mr. Beer's recipe archive to see if they already have a Kentucky Common recipe.

2 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

I might start by partial-mashing the American Lager HME with 0.5 lb 6-row, 0.25 flaked corn, and the Victory/Crystal.  For bittering, I'll need Qbrew to estimate IBUs, but I need to check Mr. Beer's recipe archive to see if they already have a Kentucky Common recipe.

Yeah, I looked at the American Lager but the IBUs are so high already (17)  that I can't put much hops in without over bittering it beyond 19 I figure. So I picked a lower IBU HME to let me get more Fuggles and Goldings character (I used Brewer's Friend calc.)

I don't see Kentucky Common in the Archives but of course it might be called something totally different.

Target: 

IBU 19

SRM 12-14

ABV 4.5 - 5%

Cheat sheet                        ABV          SRM           IBUs

American light 3.50 2 11
Canadian Blonde 3.50 2 13
Aztec 3.50 2 13
American Lager 3.50 3 17
Bavarian Weissbier 3.50 3 19
Oktoberfest Lager 3.50 10 21
Bohemian  Czech Pilsner 3.50 2 27
American Ale 3.50 3 36
American Porter 3.50 18 41
St Patricks Stout 3.50 40 50

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

Yeah, I looked at the American Lager but the IBUs are so high already (17)  that I can't put much hops in without over bittering it beyond 19 I figure. So I picked a lower IBU HME to let me get more Fuggles and Goldings character (I used Brewer's Friend calc.)

I don't see Kentucky Common in the Archives but of course it might be called something totally different.

Target: 

IBU 19

SRM 12-14

ABV 4.5 - 5%

Cheat sheet                        ABV          SRM           IBUs

American light 3.50 2 11
Canadian Blonde 3.50 2 13
Aztec 3.50 2 13
American Lager 3.50 3 17
Bavarian Weissbier 3.50 3 19
Oktoberfest Lager 3.50 10 21
Bohemian  Czech Pilsner 3.50 2 27
American Ale 3.50 3 36
American Porter 3.50 18 41
St Patricks Stout 3.50 40 50

Feel free to bitter this style up to 30 IBUs, per the BJCP.  That might actually improve this beer from "good" to "very good" (looking at the scoresheets that I just received back from a local comp.) 🍻

9 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Feel free to bitter this style up to 30 IBUs, per the BJCP.  That might actually improve this beer from "good" to "very good" (looking at the scoresheets that I just received back from a local comp.) 🍻

In that case, the American Lager may provide a better base as you suggest, maybe it depends how bitter you like it though.

Does this look good?

Kentucky Common:  American Lager HME, PM 8 oz 6 row, 4 oz Flaked corn, 1 oz  Cara 60, 1 oz Carafa II, 1 oz Victory. Hops - 0.25 oz ea Mt Hood and Cluster, 10 min boil. Safale F-97 yeast. 

Then I get  

Final Gravity
ABV
4.76%
IBU
SRM
Mash pH

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

In that case, the American Lager may provide a better base as you suggest, maybe it depends how bitter you like it though.

Does this look good?

Kentucky Common:  American Lager HME, PM 8 oz 6 row, 4 oz Flaked corn, 1 oz  Cara 60, 1 oz Carafa II, 1 oz Victory. Hops - 0.25 oz ea Mt Hood and Cluster, 10 min boil. Safale F-97 yeast. 

Then I get  

Final Gravity
ABV
4.76%
IBU
SRM
Mash pH

Go for it!:D 

28 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Go for it!:D 

It is on the list and in the spreadsheet.

I just brewed Rocket's Red Glare, and easy brew.

• Like 1