Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ewildcat7

Rapturous Raspberry

Hi all

I am going to make this recipe tomorrow - https://www.mrbeer.com/rapturous-raspberry-recipe

It seems pretty straightforward, however, I have a question about the fermenting temperature.  The recipe calls for Safale S-04 yeast and a temperature of between 59 and 68 degrees.  This is a pretty big range.  Since I have a temperature controller on my fermenting fridge, I am able to keep a consistent temperature.  Can anybody provide any advice on where I should try to keep the temperature?

thanks in advance!

Haven't looked at the recipe. but don't add the fruit at the beginning.  Ferment at 62 (you can see the range if you Google S-04), because WHEN you add the fruit it will be very active.  A week in, puree the fruit in a sanitized blender, remove the lid carefully, gently pour in, and replace the lid.  It will then kick into high gear again.

• Like 2

Thanks for the temperature suggestion.

The recipe that I posted above says to add both cans in the beginning, but Mr. Beer has since modified it to be one at the beginning and the other a week later.  Thoughts?

10 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

Thanks for the temperature suggestion.

The recipe that I posted above says to add both cans in the beginning, but Mr. Beer has since modified it to be one at the beginning and the other a week later.  Thoughts?

As Rickbeer suggested keep your temperatures at the low end and add both later. Adding it while the malt sugars are fermenting will only encourage a bulimic feeding frenzy resulting in the fruit flavors and aromas being lost. 

• Like 2

Talking of fermentation temps , I was looking at the "Craft Week" Recipes Mr. B has this week, and noticed that all of them say ferment between 70 and76 deg. Seems a little warm for some of them. I am thinking it is just a boilerplate number not catered to the recipe/yeasts - which is a bit disappointing.

I am especially intrigued by the Pennsylvania Lager, but I am thinking even for S-04, 70-76 may be a bit high especially as Fermentis says 

"ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)."

And this is the Wort temp not ambient.

I think I will just keep it at my cellar temp of 62-64 ambient.

• Like 4

@Nickfixit, you don't dare question those temperatures. They're playing the "we only claimed it would be beer" game. Disappointing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@Nickfixit, you don't dare question those temperatures. They're playing the "we only claimed it would be beer" game. Disappointing. 

I did, I wrote to customer service 😎. They would be right - it will be beer, but it could be better beer. However, I think if they specify some other temp range that requires other than just sitting the LBK in the kitchen, they will discourage sales.

• Like 1

Beyond a few true lager recipes, Mr. Beer isn't going to have recipes specifying temp ranges that require additional equipment.  They do sell some additional equipment, but no beginning brewer is going to do that.  

5 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Beyond a few true lager recipes, Mr. Beer isn't going to have recipes specifying temp ranges that require additional equipment.  They do sell some additional equipment, but no beginning brewer is going to do that.  

That was kinda my thought too, but they do specify different ranges in some recipes. What might work would be a "Default Temp Range" and a "Better" temp range both given.

• Like 2

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 3:07 PM, Nickfixit said:

That was kinda my thought too, but they do specify different ranges in some recipes. What might work would be a "Default Temp Range" and a "Better" temp range both given.

That's precisely the point I was flailing at but not making contact with. I don't understand the willingness to make that first sale and accept the drop off of so many after the initial disappointment. There are many opportunities and resources being left for discovery only by the few who persevere.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, RickBeer said:

Haven't looked at the recipe. but don't add the fruit at the beginning.  Ferment at 62 (you can see the range if you Google S-04), because WHEN you add the fruit it will be very active.  A week in, puree the fruit in a sanitized blender, remove the lid carefully, gently pour in, and replace the lid.  It will then kick into high gear again.

I just poured in the raspberry after a week of fermentation.  I did NOT stir or mix the raspberry; I just opened the lid, poured it in and put the lid back on.  Was this the right way to do it?  or should I have stirred it a bit?

It is probably too late now to do anything anyway, so I hope I did it right....

8 hours ago, ewildcat7 said:

I just poured in the raspberry after a week of fermentation.  I did NOT stir or mix the raspberry; I just opened the lid, poured it in and put the lid back on.  Was this the right way to do it?  or should I have stirred it a bit?

It is probably too late now to do anything anyway, so I hope I did it right....

No need to stir.  The yeast know their job and will do their duty.  :)

• Like 1