Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marion

oxydized beer

How can tell if your beer has oxidized from to much headspace in fermentor

First, it's highly unlikely that your beer has oxidized if you follow the Mr. Beer directions.

If it tastes like wet paper or cardboard, that's oxidation.  https://draftmag.com/13-beer-off-flavors/

What makes you think your beer oxidized?  

• Like 1

Thanks  RickBeer the beer does not have paper taste . the color was darker than the last time I brewed. This is my second batch I have ever brewed

30 minutes ago, Marion said:

Thanks  RickBeer the beer does not have paper taste . the color was darker than the last time I brewed. This is my second batch I have ever brewed

As a can of extract gets older, the beer it produces sometimes appears darker.  The taste should be unaffected, though.

5 minutes ago, Shrike said:

As a can of extract gets older, the beer it produces sometimes appears darker.  The taste should be unaffected, though.

OP hasn't said that his can is old, or even that it's the same can as the first batch...  ;)

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

OP hasn't said that his can is old, or even that it's the same can as the first batch...  ;)

It's one of the most common causes and the simplest explanation.

ive done 3 gallon batches in a 6 gallon bucket without oxidation. unless you plan on leaving it sit long after fermentation, headspace is not a problem. bulk aging is where you worry about headspace.

another cause of darkening is if you do a hop boil in malt and overdo the heat ... getting a little scorching or carmelization.

this too is not oxidation.

different malts produce different colored wort too.  rick is right as usual. i had some hobo wine get oxidized. it tastes like wet cardboard.