Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nickfixit

Getting it right....the Trappist way.

Here are some excellent tips for brewing and getting the result you want. I do not adhere to these to - my misfortune - I am attention deficit so try very different things each time (usually) (Sometimes I make multiple brews with very slight differences but not often.) Still, this is a good read. Also note the fermentation temperatures!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/4-trappist-brewing-tips-from-spencer-trappist-brewery/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 5/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, Nickfixit said:

Here are some excellent tips for brewing and getting the result you want. I do not adhere to these to - my misfortune - I am attention deficit so try very different things each time (usually) (Sometimes I make multiple brews with very slight differences but not often.) Still, this is a good read. Also note the fermentation temperatures!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/4-trappist-brewing-tips-from-spencer-trappist-brewery/

You're right Nik. Very good read. Unfortunately I'm a long way from getting in to this stuff. Still way too new at it! Lol

On 5/29/2019 at 9:35 AM, Nickfixit said:

interesting article. i think i get the freshest ingredients that are available to me as a small time home brewer, however time is my biggest enemy. often times i am feeling rushed when i'm brewing, and telling everyone around me that i'm almost finished. i make alot of mistakes b/c i'm rushed a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jdub said:

interesting article. i think i get the freshest ingredients that are available to me as a small time home brewer, however time is my biggest enemy. often times i am feeling rushed when i'm brewing, and telling everyone around me that i'm almost finished. i make alot of mistakes b/c i'm rushed a lot.

That sums up my methods too. Pressed for time, not thinking things through, and tired. Lots of times my second idea is the best one but i dont have the time to think it through that far. 

• Like 1

"The delicious Belgian malt flavor profile comes more from the rests in the mashing than from special, difficult to source, expensive malts."

hmmm.....🤔

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

"The delicious Belgian malt flavor profile comes more from the rests in the mashing than from special, difficult to source, expensive malts."

hmmm.....🤔

That does make it tough to do at home unless you have good equipment with temperature control or just  luck.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

That does make it tough to do at home unless you have good equipment with temperature control or just  luck.

I'm still brewing mash-in-sack on the stovetop and have been doing step-mashes per your link to the Devil's Backbone mash schedule posted some months ago -- 20 min. at 136 F, 20 min. at 148, and 20 min. at 158 F.  I don't know that it's made a noticeable difference in my all-grain recipes but I do enjoy the challenge of trying to hit those stops.🍻

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:14 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I'm still brewing mash-in-sack on the stovetop and have been doing step-mashes per your link to the Devil's Backbone mash schedule posted some months ago -- 20 min. at 136 F, 20 min. at 148, and 20 min. at 158 F.  I don't know that it's made a noticeable difference in my all-grain recipes but I do enjoy the challenge of trying to hit those stops.🍻

Hope it comes out well  - taste comparison will be interesting.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:47 AM, Bonsai & Brew said:

hmmm.....🤔

This is definitely true. My brewery only brews Belgian styles and we step mash every recipe, but 1 (our Belgian style IPA). Most recipes go through 2 rests, but our wit has 3 rests. Step mashing is also very beneficial when brewing single malt beers because it adds complexity and depth to the base grain you're using.

Step mashing basically utilizes different enzymes to break down different starches into sugars. Single infusion mash beers are only utilizing 1 enzyme because the other enzymes were destroyed above certain temps. But by stepping your mash at different temps for different time periods, you are utilizing more types of enzymes, which also results in better mash efficiency and better attenuation in the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2