Mr.Beer Community
StretchNM

Proper Storage of Comsumables

I know you all have answered these to infinity, but I will try to male this brief. I received a nice box from MRB yesterday with 3 cans of HME, 4 packs of DME, 3 LMEs, and some hops and yeast. This adds to my inventory of 2 cans of HME and 2 LMEs. So now I have a bunch of cans and packets and bags.

I don't know how to keep all this stuff. I have been keeping 2 HME and 2 LME under my office desk for the past couple of three months. That's dark and relatively cool. But now with more LMEs and hops and yeasts....

1. Should I refrigerate the yeasts? They are 2 Safale US05, 1 Safale US04, and 1 Lallemand Belle Saison (Danstar). The Saison has an expiration date that is clearly marked and I think I understand the expirations of the Safales. But will it hurt if I store them dry with the HME? I may not finish brewing all of these until the end of the year.

2. Should I refrigerate the LMEs or are they ok in a cool, dark place?

3. What about the hop pellets? I have one Sterling, a couple of packets of Cascade, and one pack of German Mandarina. Also they are marked like this: 31518, and 24318. Is that expiration or ....... when they were made? (I think I read somewhere the first three digits are the day of year) Should I refrigerate these?

4. OK now the HMEs. I bought 3 packs - 2 Smooths and a Pale. I am assuming these belong in a cool, dark place and NOT in the fridge. Right?

Ok that's it. Thank you

Wait. I also went to my homebrew store and bought 8oz each of 2-row and Carapils. The crushed them and gave them to me in individual brown paper bags. I'm also assuming these belong in a cool, dry place(?)

Thanks

I refrigerate yeast and hops.  I take them out the day before I brew with them to let them come up to room temperature.  For grains, I vacuum seal them, store in the fridge, and take out the day before using.

ETA:  the LME and HME can be stored at room temperature.

• Thanks 1

OK then, freeze the hop pellets, refrigerate the yeast and grains.

Is it ok to put the grains in sealed canning jars instead of vacuum sealing?

And what about the DME? Ok in a cool place? Or....

@StretchNM, I store my grains in the basement (cool and dry) in an airtight container. Granted, none of mine are crushed, but even with your crushed grains I think the canning jar will do fine if that's what you have handy. Here is a link to storage recommendations from Briess. It includes their recommendation for LME/DME. Crushed grains will have a shorter shelf life than non-crushed grain. Most recommendations you find will tell you to use it within a few months.

@Shrike, what's the reason behind storing the grains in the fridge? Also, since we are talking about crushed grains, I would imagine that all the powder could cause problems with a vacuum sealer.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, efdbrian said:

@StretchNM, I store my grains in the basement (cool and dry) in an airtight container. Granted, none of mine are crushed, but even with your crushed grains I think the canning jar will do fine if that's what you have handy. Here is a link to storage recommendations from Briess. It includes their recommendation for LME/DME. Crushed grains will have a shorter shelf life than non-crushed grain. Most recommendations you find will tell you to use it within a few months.

@Shrike, what's the reason behind storing the grains in the fridge? Also, since we are talking about crushed grains, I would imagine that all the powder could cause problems with a vacuum sealer.

I keep them there mainly as it's a choice between storing them on a shelf in a room that gets as warm as 76-77F during the day or keeping them in the fridge.  I've never had a problem so far with any grain powder when sealing, although I do make the bags a little bigger than normal.

If some of you experienced grain brewers say it's no problem to store the sealed grain at 76-77F, I'll start leaving them on the shelf.  That means more room in the fridge for beer. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Shrike said:

I keep them there mainly as it's a choice between storing them on a shelf in a room that gets as warm as 76-77F during the day or keeping them in the fridge.  I've never had a problem so far with any grain powder when sealing, although I do make the bags a little bigger than normal.

If some of you experienced grain brewers say it's no problem to store the sealed grain at 76-77F, I'll start leaving them on the shelf.  That means more room in the fridge for beer. 😁

According to Briess malt is ok to be stored at those temperatures. It even mentions pre-ground malt now that I read it again. Maybe if you have a recipe that you know well make it with the refrigerated grains one time and non-refrigerated grains another time to see if you notice a difference.

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

According to Briess malt is ok to be stored at those temperatures. It even mentions pre-ground malt now that I read it again. Maybe if you have a recipe that you know well make it with the refrigerated grains one time and non-refrigerated grains another time to see if you notice a difference.

Thanks, good to know.  Always good to learn something new about this hobby!

• Like 1

Well I vacuum sealed the grains (zip lock bags and some sucking) (< ----Ok, that didn't really come out like I intended it to :) ) and stuffed both of those in a 1/2 gal canning jar, then put that in the fridge. Maybe I'll take it back out and put the jar in my fermenting cooler for the time being. Maybe not. But the hops are in the freezer and the yeast is in the fridge.

@efdbrian thanks for the Briess link. It's open in another window and I'm fixing to read it.

• Like 1