Mr.Beer Community
HollywoodTRBros

How long does the beer keep?

Whats up fellas, 

I just recently got back from a three month trip, and was wondering if I should check my old homebrews somehow? or just give one a try and see what happens. I bottled the whispering wheat hefe first week of Jan, and the Tangerously hoppy IPA probably first week of march I think. I just got home yesterday, so at least they should be rather conditioned at this point I'd think, or maybe poisonous who knows?! But I'm still rather new to this whole thing and would rather not mess up my stomach. Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, HollywoodTRBros said:

Whats up fellas, 

I just recently got back from a three month trip, and was wondering if I should check my old homebrews somehow? or just give one a try and see what happens. I bottled the whispering wheat hefe first week of Jan, and the Tangerously hoppy IPA probably first week of march I think. I just got home yesterday, so at least they should be rather conditioned at this point I'd think, or maybe poisonous who knows?! But I'm still rather new to this whole thing and would rather not mess up my stomach. Thanks in advance

Theyre definitely still good. Maybe even right in their sweet spot. Pop them in the fridge and drink them after 3 days. Your beers should keep for years depending on style, abv and how good of caps you used. 

Whats up fellas, 

Beer is never poisonous.  They are fine.  2 years later still drinkable...

21 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Beer is never poisonous.  They are fine.  2 years later still drinkable...

What about my “botulism” beer? Made from harvesting wild yeast in the forest?

2513F927-56BA-407E-84C9-EBA3FCF2A393.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HollywoodTRBros said:

Whats up fellas, 

All joking aside, some homebrews get better with age... some don't. IPA's tend to lose their hoppiness over time. If it's too hop forward for you let it sit and the hoppiness will decrease. Malty beers IMO only get better with age. I'm trying yo brew my porters, stouts, Oktoberfest and Belgian triples now for consumption in the fall and winter. I'm also trying to work in my wheat beers and lawn mower beers for the next couple months, because they reach thrir peak in a few weeks. @Creeps McLane, if nobody died, it's all good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

What about my “botulism” beer? Made from harvesting wild yeast in the forest?

2513F927-56BA-407E-84C9-EBA3FCF2A393.jpeg

What even is that crazy stuff? looks like Kombucha

Appreciate all the replies y'all, looks like I was worried about nothing. Good to know, I can stock up. Usually my lack of patience gets me and they barely make it past the bottle conditioning stage. Now I'm excited to see if they taste much different than it did when I left

• Like 1

Appreciate all the replies y'all, looks like I was worried about nothing. Good to know, I can stock up. Usually my lack of patience gets me and they barely make it past the bottle conditioning stage. Now I'm excited to see if they taste much different than it did when I left

I've got a few bottles of Lock Stock Barrel Stout left that I bottled in October 2016.  Based off one I had last month they're still fantastic.

• Like 1

They should keep just fine - just keep them dark, and cool.

You may lose some hoppiness with age and you may gain some complexity.

I have not had any complaint about beers I have kept over 12-18 months but I do not generally keep them that long just a few.

• Like 1