Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StretchNM

Another Yeast Question - Ale and Lager

I will soon be brewing MRB's Deluxe Oktoberfest - Oktoberfest Lager HME, Smooth LME, and MRB Ale Yeast with fermentation recommended at 70F - 72F.

With it being a Lager, isn't it more desirable to ferment at 65F or lower? Wouldn't I be better using a yeast like US05 or US04? That's my main question, but I'm also considering lifting and heaving in an 8oz bag of Smooth DME on this one too. Maybe not. I'm open to suggestions and criticisms. But the yeast is eating at me, eh....bugging me.

Thank you

It's a lager-style beer, but brewed with an ale yeast.  To truly brew it as a lager you'd want to use a lager yeast, like S-23 or W34/70 and ferment it at lager temperatures, 45-55F depending on the yeast and the style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, ok. I don't have those yeasts, but I do have US04 and -05. What IF I used that instead? There's just something bugging me about brewing an Oktoberfest lager with ale yeast. Maybe it's ok, I don't know. Is it? And..... what do you think about heaving in that large bag of DME?

Regardless of using MRB, -04, or -05, you're still brewing an ale that is in the style of a lager.

There's nothing wrong with brewing it this way.  Thousands of batches of Oktoberfest have been made and enjoyed this way over the years.

For my tastes, adding the DME in addition to the LME would result in a final product that was too malty.  I'd do a hop boil to help balance it out.

As a newer brewer, this provides a good opportunity to see what different yeasts do.  You could brew it as per the recipe now, then do it again later as a true lager just to see, smell, and taste the differences.

• Thanks 1

I agree it will be very toffee malty. If you like that it is OK. The US-05 will give cleanest driest beer and go down to mid 50's for fermentation. Otherwise use the standard recipe/yeast and see what you think. Then you will know which direction you will want to go. You can run the Mr B yeast at 65 if you want but not much lower. I ferment most thigns at 65 these days unless lagers or saisons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StretchNM said:

I will soon be brewing MRB's Deluxe Oktoberfest - Oktoberfest Lager HME, Smooth LME, and MRB Ale Yeast with fermentation recommended at 70F - 72F.

With it being a Lager, isn't it more desirable to ferment at 65F or lower? Wouldn't I be better using a yeast like US05 or US04? That's my main question, but I'm also considering lifting and heaving in an 8oz bag of Smooth DME on this one too. Maybe not. I'm open to suggestions and criticisms. But the yeast is eating at me, eh....bugging me.

Thank you

One of the most confusing aspects for new brewers. MrBeer products are brewed using an ale yeast. This is because the ale yeast does not require the strict temperature control that a lager yeast requires. The HME with the ale yeast will taste similar to an identical brew with a lager yeast. The intention is for you to brew beer with a taste within the style range of the labeled HME. If you're a stickler on semantics call it Oktoberfest Ale if you like. I have brewed it both ways and none could tell which was which.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, D Kristof said:

One of the most confusing aspects for new brewers. MrBeer products are brewed using an ale yeast. This is because the ale yeast does not require the strict temperature control that a lager yeast requires. The HME with the ale yeast will taste similar to an identical brew with a lager yeast. The intention is for you to brew beer with a taste within the style range of the labeled HME. If you're a stickler on semantics call it Oktoberfest Ale if you like. I have brewed it both ways and none could tell which was which.

only octoberfest i have done, was a true lager. used white labs german lager yeast and did the lagering steps fermenting low and raising to diacetyl rest....etc. you could easily use the ale yeasts you have on hand and it would taste just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorites MB Oktoberfest, brewed with US-05. Keep the temperatures around 65-68 deg F if you can, and give it the full three weeks. I tend to go lower on the carb sugar, but that is a personal preference. 

• Thanks 1