Mr.Beer Community
kurtpepp3

Carbonation Issue

I’ve brewed two batches so far and have had no carbonation in the bottles on both batches.   The first batch was the American Light. I let it ferment for two weeks and let it carbonate for three weeks all at 69-70 degrees. I used sugar to carbonate and plastic bottles and it came out flat with no carbonation. The second batch was the American Lager.  I let it ferment for three weeks and let it carbonate for four weeks at 69-70 degrees. I used carb drops and glass bottles thinking the plastic bottles were the issue with the first batch. Unfortunately this batch also came out flat with no carbonation. Can anybody help me figure out what the issue could be? 

When I've had beer that was flat it was almost always due to improperly capped bottles (I've learned which glass bottles not to re-use).  Since you've had this with both plastic and glass bottles, that's probably not the cause.

Are you sure of the ambient temperature where you're carbonating the beers?  Below 70 the yeast take longer to carbonate.  I'd try putting a few of the bottles in a warmer part of the house, maybe around 73-75F for a couple of weeks, then put them in the fridge for three days before trying.

when i used to carb at 68f ambient... took 4 weeks. 

gently upend the bottle. no leak? ok. right it and put them in a cooler..close it and move it to a 72-74f room.

causes for no carb?

bottle cap loose.

forgot to put carb drops in.

yeast was stressed out from a high grav, long secondary ferment.

carb temp too low.

• Like 1

Mine carb at ~ 62-64 deg. It takes 3 weeks or so - sometimes less - depends on the yeast. But I have a big varied pipeline (up to a year old) and rarely drink beer less than 1-2 months old.

Mine that do not carb I can see bubbles on the beer surface usually, I can usually fix that by adding another sugar dot and replacing the cap (quickly) with a new one (ring removed). I keep spares for this.

16 hours ago, kurtpepp3 said:

I’ve brewed two batches so far and have had no carbonation in the bottles on both batches.   The first batch was the American Light. I let it ferment for two weeks and let it carbonate for three weeks all at 69-70 degrees. I used sugar to carbonate and plastic bottles and it came out flat with no carbonation. The second batch was the American Lager.  I let it ferment for three weeks and let it carbonate for four weeks at 69-70 degrees. I used carb drops and glass bottles thinking the plastic bottles were the issue with the first batch. Unfortunately this batch also came out flat with no carbonation. Can anybody help me figure out what the issue could be? 

No carbonation, no head, or no head and no carbonation? 

Thanks for the help. There are no leaks in the caps. The bottles have no head and no carbonation. I will try moving to a warmer room.  

3-4 weeks at 70 degrees is plenty. Makes me think that's not the issue. 

8 hours ago, kurtpepp3 said:

Thanks for the help. There are no leaks in the caps. The bottles have no head and no carbonation. I will try moving to a warmer room.  

Make sure you put them in the fridge for 3 days before opening to drink.

4 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

cato... 🤢   chilled beer??? gross.

All a matter of preference. I can drink a flat hydrometer sample, but to me the chilled carbonated beer makes it come alive.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Cato said:

All a matter of preference. I can drink a flat hydrometer sample, but to me the chilled carbonated beer makes it come alive.

i know....every time i go to a restaurant/bar and order a beer, they always ask me, chilled or room temp? LOL

10 hours ago, gophers6 said:

3-4 weeks at 70 degrees is plenty. Makes me think that's not the issue. 

Same here.  Might as well eliminate it as a suspect, though.

If his temperatures are correct, all I can think of is the bottles must be leaking. If his fermentation temperatures were higher than he thinks, there's more off gasing and less residual carbonation when he bottled. If he's lower on his carbonation and conditioning temperatures than he thinks, that contributes also. 

If your bottles caps are not leaking, the temperature is correct, and you are positive that you put sugar in to prime, you might want to try putting a few grains of yeast in - then recap and wait. Work quickly and as sterile as possible. Give them a full four weeks to carbonate.