Mr.Beer Community
JRCasualBrewer

Has Mr Beer changed the recommended times?

I'm noticing a lot of refills and recipes are saying to ferment for 14 days and bottle for 14 days. It had been 21 and 21 on previous recipes. Has something changed?

Yes they have re-written all (they say all) of their instructions. I believe there are still some that ferment for 3 weeks. Unknown if that's by design or if they just haven't gotten to those yet.

If you watch youtube videos of the experienced brewers, most of them ferment between 10 and 14 days. I suspect that Mr Beer is just keeping up with the times rather than having a catch-all "3 week" fermentation period. I suppose they take their original and final gravity readings and they pretty well know when it's done. If in doubt, the advice I always got was to take a gravity reading for two days and if there is no change, the yeast is done.

1 hour ago, JRCasualBrewer said:

I'm noticing a lot of refills and recipes are saying to ferment for 14 days and bottle for 14 days. It had been 21 and 21 on previous recipes. Has something changed?

The only thing that has changed is they're taking a more militant stance on how to brew their products. Over many years people have turned to other MrBeer brewers on this forum. Because we're all brewing under different circumstances, and having different results, the directions were revised to allow more people to have more success. Times have changed. Personnel have changed. The opinion of their long time customers has changed.  

i don't brew MRB brews much anymore, as I have moved on to all grain, but the recommendations haven't changed. 21 days fermentation is pretty fool proof and 4 weeks in bottles ~ 70 deg will carb your brew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They sell less kits if they say it takes longer.  It would be disappointing if they are changing the instructions to specify less time, but not surprising.  I suspect business is off considerably from what it was a few years ago.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RickBeer said:

They sell less kits if they say it takes longer.  It would be disappointing if they are changing the instructions to specify less time, but not surprising.  I suspect business is off considerably from what it was a few years ago.

You mean business is down because they added more time to the process?

No, business is down, as it is for Homebrew stores, due to the proliferation of craft beer.

57 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

No, business is down, as it is for Homebrew stores, due to the proliferation of craft beer.

i was in my LHBS yesterday, and it was hopping. had to wait a bit to get my grainbill put together. i guess it depends on the area of the country you live in or something.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jdub said:

i was in my LHBS yesterday, and it was hopping. had to wait a bit to get my grainbill put together. i guess it depends on the area of the country you live in or something.

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2019/01/is-american-homebrewing-dying.html

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/Home_Brewers_Hobby

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranurin/2016/09/23/its-official-homebrewing-is-on-the-decline-and-heres-why-you-may-be-to-blame/#7657c0be51fd - store mentioned closed in 2019

Note points 5 and 6 - 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

maybe home brewing is off b/c of fitness trends, craft breweries and just retail in general. i don't brew to save money....etc. i like the process and having a cold keg of homebrew in the garage fridge. if you have a good LHBS that supports home brewers AND pro brewers, like mine does, that's probably a good recipe for success and sustainability. just guessing.

• Like 2

What I think I got from the Mr Beer staff on the Facebook page is that  the Mr Beer yeast was formulated specifically for quick fermentation and that they had tested recipes using the 14 day formula  before they rewrote the instructions. However they also said - if you have a different  process that works - it is probably good to keep using it. But their "standard" instructions are 2 weeks.  Temperature will also have an impact. I think Mr Beer forum brewers tend to brew in the 60's, and that might take longer than if you follow the Mr Beer instructions which say to brew a bit warmer but it will depend on the yeast.

Not all say 14 days though e.g. Hidden Lake Amber Ale "Put your fermenter in a location with a consistent temperature between 68° and 78° F (20°-25° C), and out of direct sunlight. Ferment for 21 days."  Unclear if they will change this.

They do seem to be having a lot of good sales recently so maybe that is an attempt tp move more product. I know I took advantage of it - but how much can you buy - lol.

• Like 2

Maybe there's something to that. I have a 3 friends that haven't homebrewed in a couple of years because they can't keep up trying new craft beers.

• Like 1

The more craft beers I try the more I realize I usually prefer my homebrews.  :D

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Shrike said:

The more craft beers I try the more I realize I usually prefer my homebrews.  :D

Man, I wish. Some craft beers let me down but some I know ill never be able to recreate. I also think when i drink my beer vs craft beer, im drinking to a different standard. So its hard to compare the two. I like what i make but i know the ingredients i like. Seems like an unfair advantage 

• Like 3

I'll go with a local craft beer when i am out at a restaurant, if they have any. Some are very good, and I like to support "Local" small brewers. At home I drink my own, mainly because i made them the way I like, and they mostly turn out great. Plus, I like the hobby of brewing. On the issue of MB changing the fermentation and carbonation times, I bet it is to help those new brewers get a beer done in less than two months (which is typical for me). They will still get beer, and mostly it will be fine. 

• Like 4

I'm on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" band wagon. I've been doing the 3 weeks fermentation/4 week carbonation, 3 days cold crash. My beer has been turning out very good. I would be afraid to change my process now.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Don H said:

I'm on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" band wagon. I've been doing the 3 weeks fermentation/4 week carbonation, 3 days cold crash. My beer has been turning out very good. I would be afraid to change my process now.

Exactly!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Don H said:

Ditto.