Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncman

First time re-using yeast

Collected this yeast [US-05], in my 3 gal Fastferment. Is it sufficient to use in another 2.5G batch?

IMG_5496.JPG

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, syncman said:

Collected this yeast [US-05], in my 3 gal Fastferment. Is it sufficient to use in another 2.5G batch?

IMG_5496.JPG

If thats yeast and not proteins and hops then hell yeah it is!!! Even if there is some proteins in there, im sure theres enough yeast for 2.5 gallons. 

Syncman, it's your thread of course, but if you or others are willing, I'd sure like to hear the harvesting and saving process in a nutshell.

New to re-using yeast. Plan is to just dump this into my next batch. A SMASH Citra IPA.  Store in refrigerator till needed  Collected by tossing trub, collected in the jar, till yeast started to appear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, StretchNM said:

Syncman, it's your thread of course, but if you or others are willing, I'd sure like to hear the harvesting and saving process in a nutshell.

If you get bored.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, syncman said:

New to re-using yeast. Plan is to just dump this into my next batch. A SMASH Citra IPA.  Store in refrigerator till needed  Collected by tossing trub, collected in the jar, till yeast started to appear.

Probably want to someone research before dumping a batch of yeast that includes a bunch of dead cells and trub and possibly ruining a batch.

yeah... research yeast washing. youre definitely going to want to get the gunk out before repitching. you got to be really ocd on sterile conditions and sanitation too. i did yeast washing twice.. a lot of work for little savings , but still was cool to try.   if you want to get all science-y and experiment.. more power to ya.

Last time I did this is worked out OK, but I did not read those instructions. As a result I added REAL CLEAN trub plus yeast to the new brew. THe new brew actuallybenefitted from some flavors left from the old.

• Like 1

I dont do things by the book, i do what works for me. Its pretty easy for me to just wash a few mason jars and sanitize them to save yeast. Ive never had any negative effects from mishandled yeast. Keep in mind, im usually ducking in and out in every brewing process. So anything that can go wrong usually does. 

Yes, reusing yeast saves money. This is true. This is a good thing. However, certain strains dont really show their best characteristics until the third generation.

Also, if youre anti northern brewer like i am, i harvest yeast just so i only have to order my yeast once a year instead of 12 times a year. Sticking it to the man

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Northern Brewer is no longer owned by AB.

People who reuse yeast need to study what it does.  Only live cells replicate, so each generation is different than the previous.  Think mutation.  There is a science to it.