Mr.Beer Community

I know from reading the posts that some of you all have sent beer to, or received beer from, other home brewers. I want to send a couple of 12oz bottles to a friend of mine in Alabama. How do I do it? I'd like to know how it's packed and how it's sent, and anything else that will help me.

Thanks

I've done it once, shipping beer to friends st Mr. Beer last year.  First, note that it is illegal for the most part.  I say "the most part" because there are places on the web that have beer of the month clubs, and have licenses to distribute where it is legal to do so (I'm in Kentucky, and I can't join those clubs).

If you ship the beer, and a bottle breaks, and the smell of beer comes out, at best it will be confiscated. At worst you will face legal action.

That having been said, research the web.  I know I saw one site that said to use an over sized box, line the sides with bubble wrap, cover each glass bottle with bubble wrap, and keep the bottles upright.  I used a box I got from buying glass bottles from Mr. Beer, which helped keep the bottles separate.  On the shipping label I wrote down "Collectable Soda Bottles" but some daring people have listed it as Yeast Samples.  Also, I sent cans and bottles,  so it was a balanced weight (cans weigh less than glass).

Good luck

Mini Yoda

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StretchNM said:

I know from reading the posts that some of you all have sent beer to, or received beer from, other home brewers. I want to send a couple of 12oz bottles to a friend of mine in Alabama. How do I do it? I'd like to know how it's packed and how it's sent, and anything else that will help me.

Thanks

You must ship via ups or fed ex. Tell them nothing, they shouldn’t even ask. 

package at home. Ship to a business if possible. Youll save money that way

wrap the bottles well in bubble wrap and then stick 1-2 in gallon ziplocks, whatever will fit

line the whole box with a trash bag as leakage insurance 

tape it up real well. Especially the bottom

avoid shipping yeasty beer in the summer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, MiniYoda said:

If you ship the beer, and a bottle breaks, and the smell of beer comes out, at best it will be confiscated. At worst you will face legal action.

The last time I shipped beer, im guessing the hazys exploded. UPS notified me there was damage, discarded the exploded beers, and packaged up the ones that were still good and shipped them back to me. Also included was a report and several tips on how to safely package beer. Its 2019, i dont think they care anymore

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

The last time I shipped beer, im guessing the hazys exploded. UPS notified me there was damage, discarded the exploded beers, and packaged up the ones that were still good and shipped them back to me. Also included was a report and several tips on how to safely package beer. Its 2019, i dont think they care anymore

Are you holding out on us or will you be sharing those tips?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1