Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Mysterious leaking bottle

Has anyone had this problem? I have a large plastic container where I keep my beer, just in case of a gusher. Twice, I have found beer at the bottom of the container, but cannot find which beer is leaking. All the bottles are still very stiff and full. The bottles and caps are over a year old and have been reused a few times. Can bottles leak from the bottom or top without fully blowing up or losing carbonation?

Plastic bottles can vent from the cap, releasing some pressure and beer.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been preparing for the possible explosion, but this has me stumped. 

i know early 2018 mrb posted that there were some failures with some of their caps and were offering to switch them out. i switched to 12 oz glass shortly after.

I remember that, but it had more to do with the ring on the cap that prevented bottles from tightening. This is a little different in that they are tight and carbonating. I’m just find my bottles in a puddle of beer with no sign of how or where it is coming from. I am going to keep watch and just throw away the empties after I drink the beer of course.

• Like 1

I would just take the rings off and see if that fixes it,  if not,  try to isolate the bottles so you can tell which ones do it then replace them as you suggest.  You could also try just using new caps (minus the ring).

They should not vent from the caps unless the cap is defective.  If they bottle feels firm, then it should not have a leak.

Sometimes a PET bottle will blow out the bottom (ask me how I know, then ask me again).  Storing them in a plastic container (with lid) is a safe bet (ask me how I know that too).

• Haha 1

I observed some caps that had a definite convex curve after a few weeks of carbonation. I think the pressure was enough to deform the cap, breaking the seal allowing the beer to vent. Once the pressure decreased, it formed a seal again.

1. I am thinking that your deformed caps are either a bad batch or you are seriously over-carbonating to deform them. Either way replacing the caps looks like a fix.
  2. Did you have any really highly carbonated brews?

i think you could easily identify which bottle leaked b/c of stick beer residue on the side of the bottle. check it out and throw that bottle/cap away (after drinking the beer).

• Like 1

Right. I went through this elaborate process of making paper towel collars for the stored beers. When I find the culprit, I will throw away those caps (after I drink the beer). It is probably time to replace them anyway. 

i use clear plastic bottles from carbonated water.  if i see bubbles forming on the surface of the beer it's a safe bet i have a pressure leak developing.  most of the time it's caused by me screwing the caps down too hard and damaging the cap top where it is fused to the sides.

i've had a bottom blow out once.. WHOOSH! BOOM YIPPEE! russian imperial stout all over the wall...ceiling... fun cleaning it up.

your paper towel collar is a very clever idea.

• Like 1