Mr.Beer Community
greyhound

Efficient bottle washing method?

My method has been after draining a bottle of brew, to VERY aggressively multi-rinse the bottle, let dry and store for next batch.  Sanitize prior to refilling.  Repeat a few times.  Then periodically using oxygen properly mixed in a gallon jug, half fill each bottle with warm mix and scrub interior with a bottle brush, rinse thoroughly and let drain dry.  A real pain in the butt...  Is there a better way that is just as effective?  

I just wash them as I use them, with hot water and a bit of unscented dish soap.  Shake well, refill with hot water, repeat a few times.   If there's any persistent crud I hit it with a bottle brush.  Rinse and put on rack to dry.

• Like 1

Me too.  Except we rinse good, then fill with water UNTIL we are ready to wash at the end of the day.  More efficient than washing 1 at a time, and nothing dries in bottle.

• Like 1

I too use the unscented dish soap and rinse and wash each bottle as I drink it and leave it filled with the soapy water. Every 3 days or so I'll empty the 6-8 bottles on the kitchen counter and rinse them a couple times with hot water and then store them on my bottle tree. 

I've never used a bottle brush or had any residue remaining. 

I think my SS brewbuckets with the racking arm produce a bit less trub than my LBK's, but I'll have to check that out to verify.

My bottle washing method:

drink beer

recycle bottle

brew beer

buy new bottles 

its more money but a lot less work

• Haha 3

my bottle washing method.....drink beer, rinse out bottle pretty good. put in box in garage. when i feel like washing 50 or so bottles, i use oxy clean free, hot water, a bottle brush and a bottle tree. not that bad. i must say that i haven't washed bottles in a while now.

• Like 1

Drink beer, rinse out well, using small finger to remove the ring of bits stick inside the neck. 

At bottling, clean deposits inside with soft, bottlebrush, sanitize with Mr B sanitizer. Make sure to invert bottles to get caps and threads wet (and caps of 12 oz bottles)

On 9/8/2019 at 9:06 AM, Nickfixit said:

Drink beer, rinse out well, using small finger to remove the ring of bits stick inside the neck. 

At bottling, clean deposits inside with soft, bottlebrush, sanitize with Mr B sanitizer. Make sure to invert bottles to get caps and threads wet (and caps of 12 oz bottles)

Glad to see someone else using the finger in the bottle trick. If I don't do this, I end up with a ring where the top of the beer was. 

You know there is a certain poster on here (not naming him but his last name rhymes with deer) who thinks I'm imagining "ring around the bottle." 

• Haha 2

Drink beer (or two) rinse well with hot water and dish soap. Before brewing sanitize with oxygen cleaner. Same for plastic bottles. 

• Like 2